Chapter Twelve

Ashanti paced nervously as she constantly glanced at the clock. Lucas was due to be hope anytime, but it felt like forever. She stopped her pacing when she heard the door unlock and Lucas walk in. He made eye contact with her and let out a sigh of frustration as he looked away.

"Here to get your things?" He asked in a flat toned.

"No, Lucas, I know you're mad at me-"

"Mad? You disappeared on me, Ashanti. You went over your friend's house and didn't come back for two whole damn weeks, you sent Gia here to grab overnight bags! You avoided my phone calls, you avoided me!"

Hearing the anger and pain in Lucas's voice made her heart break. She had never seen him so upset and it made her sad to know that she was the reason why.

"I'm pregnant." She managed to spit out, stopping Lucas in his rant.

"What did you say?"

She didn't say anything. She simply stepped to the side to reveal the display on the table. It was a pair of baby booties in a box with the pregnancy tests and a coffee mug that said '#1 dad'. Lucas walked over and stared at the display.

They stood in silence and Ashanti felt her anxiety come back when Lucas simply stared at the items. She was about to say something, but was engulfed into a hug by Lucas. Feeling his warm around her caused the tears to start flowing from her eyes.

"Is that why you stayed away? Why didn't you just say anything?" He asked, holding her tightly.

"I - I didn't know how to say anything. I was scared and denied it, but I didn't want to say anything to you until I had my first appointment. I wanted to be sure.." she admitted. "It's not what I had planned, I wanted to get married first..."

Lucas pulled and took hold of her chin to raise her head up so she was looking at him.

"Mi amor, you should have said something. I'm sorry that I ruined your plan, but this is the best news I've ever gotten in my life. I thought you left me... please, don't ever do this again.."

"I promise." She said and he gave her a kiss.

She reached in her back pocket and pulled out the ultrasound picture, giving it to Lucas. He grabbed the picture, eyeing every detail of it. Ashanti watched as he smiled grew on his face and he quickly wiped the tears from his eyes.

"Aww, look at her.."

Her?

"How do you know it's a girl? I'm not that far along to tell."

Lucas knelt down on one knee and placed his hands on Ashanti's stomach. He leaned in, placing a kiss on her stomach.

"Trust me, I've always asked God to bless me with a baby girl and I may be biased, but I know he hears my prayers."

Ashanti let out a small laugh as the tears began falling from her eyes. "I'm such an idiot."

Lucas stood up and gave her a confused look. "Why would you say that about yourself?"

"Because I stressed over nothing. Some part of me thought that you would be angry with this happening so early in our relationship, but you've been praying for it this entire time."

"Well, I am surprised because you said you were on the pill." He smirked.

Ashanti looked down in embarrassment. "Apparently when we went to Barcelona, I missed a day and we came back with a gift."

"Ashanti, you have no idea how much joy you have brought to my life."

~~

"Did you take your vitamins?"