Chapter 5

WALKER

I’ve been in Lawerence for about a month now and I’m still confused as hell about where I’m going once I get into the rural area that is just full of farms and ranches. That is why I have been driving around for the last twenty minutes trying to figure out how the hell I’m supposed to get to Port Ranch. Google GPS didn’t help me at all, in fact, it took me to a road that wasn’t actually a road, but a dirt path no bigger than enough for a bike.

I finally see a big sign ahead with an arrow and notice a large construction truck pull into where I’m supposed to be going. At least it is a real street this time, so I think we’re onto something. Once I am sure I’m on the correct driveway, I look for the “big house” at Tracy Port referred to it as. 

I park in front of the house and see that I’m ten minutes late. I let out a frustrating noise because I’m never late. It is a huge pet peeve of mine to be late. I even left twenty minutes earlier than I calculated it would take to get here, but I’m still late. Great first impression, Walker. No time to chastise myself even more, the clock is ticking.

I grab my portfolio notebook from the passenger seat, readjust my suit jacket and tie, and head up to the door and ring the doorbell. I hear a dog start barking and a few minutes later the door swings open and a young boy, maybe five or six looks up at me with grape jelly all over his face. 

“Who are you?” The boy asks. Just as I begin to answer, the aforementioned dog comes barreling from the room, and before I can get my arms up to stop him, he jumps right onto my stomach, almost pushing me back to the ground.

“Shit!”

“HAROLD! No, bad boy.” A woman about my age pulls the dog, I’m assuming named Harold, off of me and shoos him into the other room. “I’m sorry about that, Harold thinks everybody wants dog hugs. Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just surprised I guess.” I readjust my tie, feeling even way too disheveled. I collect myself as quickly as I can and hold out my hand, “I’m Walker Lee, here to meet with Tracy Port.”

“Of course, come on in!” After shaking my hand she steps aside and pulls the young boy back as well. I can tell they must be related, maybe mother and son. He has the same wavy blonde hair and blue eyes that she does.

“My name is Britt, this is my son Deacon. Sorry about the unexpected greeter, somebody still has a hard time remembering that he shouldn’t open the door without an adult.” She runs her hands over her son’s hair.

“I thought it was Granger!” She said with his hands up in the air.

“Why would Granger be ringing the doorbell?”

The boy shrugs, “I dunno.”

Britt shakes her head, “You need to go wipe off your face and then find a book to read while Grandma starts dinner.”

“Fine….”

He sulks off down the hallway and Britt motions me to follow her as we go the other direction. I’m trying to take in the house, I know why it is called the big house now. I see a huge seating area with a television, a dining table that could probably fit twenty people easily, and an industrial-sized kitchen before we go down a skinny hall that leads to the office door that she knocks on.”

“Come in!”

Britt opens the door and steps inside, “Hey Mom, this young man seems to be looking for you.”

“Oh yes!” The woman stands and moves around her desk, “Walker, correct?”

“Yes ma’am, Walker Lee.”