Chapter 7

BEV

As I approached the turn-off for the ranch I could see that cars were lining the front of the property that we used for wedding parking. I was happy to see that as it meant that my mom and sisters would more than likely be too busy with the wedding and reception to grill me too much on what I was doing back home. With my vehicle full of my belongings, I can’t even play it off as an impromptu trip home.

After the twelve-hour drive spread over two days, I just wanted to lay in my bed and wallow in my feelings. I cried for the first hour or so of the drive, but once I stopped to gas up I decided that was it. I wasn’t going to give him any more headspace until I got back home.

I considered driving all the way through, but my dad’s voice just kept repeating in the back of my head that I needed to split the drive over two days and not overdo myself. I left early this morning to finish the drive, arriving back at the ranch around two in the afternoon.

I pulled into the drive in front of the big house, I knew that they’d see my car once they got back and they’d have so many questions. My first thought was to send them all a group text letting them know I was back home. I had my phone turned off for the most part though, I didn’t need Charlie blowing it up with his stupid lies and fake apologies.

“Well, look who the cat dragged in.” I don’t even have both feet on the ground when the back door opens and Granger stands on the back step with a cocky grin on his face. I tried like hell to keep a brave face on, but the moment our eyes locked my resolve was all gone and I burst into tears. Granger has always been my protector and could see right through any lie I’d try to make. 

Granger was there to carry me back to the big house after I took more than one tumble and scraped up my knees and when he realized that the dam had broken and tears were streaming down my face, his rough exterior faded away and he made his way to me and wrapped me in his arms like he had done many times before.

“Shhh...it’s okay Bev.”

“I’m so stupid, Granger. I never should have left.”

“You wanted to see the big city and have new experiences, nothing wrong with that.”

I shake my head, “It was all a lie, everything he told me was a lie.” 

Granger keeps rubbing my back to calm me, “Shh...you don’t need to talk about it, baby girl. Let’s get you in the house and maybe something to drink.”

I loop my arm in his and lean into him as we walk back into the house. I sit up at the kitchen island and Granger grabs two glasses and then opens the freezer and grabs a bottle of Grey Goose, pouring a pretty generous shot for both of us.

“I thought you meant a drink like some water,” I said with a watery giggle.

“I’m guessing this isn’t something that needs to be dealt with by drinking water,” he counters.

I give a small smile and tip the glass back taking in about half, so probably one shot. “Fuck that burns.”

“Watch your mouth, baby girl.”

“Oh hush, Granger. I’m not a kid anymore.”

“You’ll always be a kid to me.”

He gives me a wink and then takes his shot. The back door opens and we both turn around and see my dad standing at the back door with a confused look on his face. “Princess, What are you doing here? I didn’t realize you were visiting this weekend.”

“Not visiting, Daddy.” As much as I try to steel my response, the strain in my voice is obvious.

“Well shit, what did he do?”