Chapter 26

BEV

“Hey Brielle, where are you?”

“In the kitchen!” My sister replied. When I get to the kitchen I see Brielle standing at the counter with a container of chocolate ice cream in her hand, using a huge spoon to scoop it into her mouth. I’m not sure how to be sensitive about it, but in the last couple of months Brielle has really “grown into her bump,” shall we say.

We joke that little Clemmy went through a growth spurt because where I used to be rounder and have a more pronounced bump at the midway part of our pregnancies, she’s clearly grown more in the last eight weeks entering our third trimesters.

Brielle puts the spoon down and glares at me, “You’re looking at me like you’re judging me.”

“No, not at all. Actually, I was wondering if you had another spoon and wanted to share.”

“I’ll do you one better.” Brielle opens up their freezer and grabs a second pint of ice cream and another spoon, handing it over to me.

“You’re the best sister ever.”

“Thank you,” she giggles. “I’m going to make sure that I tell the other two that.”

“You would.” I eat a spoonful of the ice cream and main, “Lord this is good. Is there peanut butter in here?”

“Yes! Doesn’t it taste like a peanut butter cup?”

“It does. Oh man, I’m going to have to buy some of this.”

We take a seat at the kitchen table and enjoy our ice cream while catching up on things here and there. Now that she’s getting further in her pregnancy, Brielle doesn’t make it up to the big house as much as she used to. I feel her. I’m tired all the time and my ankles are starting to swell. It doesn’t take much for me to feel like I’ve overdone it.

Thankfully, we’re still in our slow months for event planning. We have brides visiting to tour the place and ask us questions, but we don’t have that many events so we aren’t working ourselves to the bone. Of course, when we DO start to pick up, I’m going to be even closer to my April 14th due date, so that should be interesting.

Mitch comes into the house through the mudroom and just shakes his head at the two of us indulging ourselves in ice cream. He goes by me first and places a kiss on the top of my head and then leans down and kisses Brielle on the lips and whispers something in her ear that makes her blush

“What in the world are the two of you doing?” he chuckles.

“Uh, we’re eating ice cream, do you have a problem with me eating the food that your little girl was craving today?” She rubs her belly.

“Well, when you put it that way, I have zero problems and you two just continue with what you’re doing.”

“That’s what I thought.”

“Hey, Mitch?” I call for my brother-in-law before he leaves the kitchen.

“What’s up, sweetheart?”

“Do you think you can stop by the house tonight and pick me up too?”

“You need a ride?”

I shrug, “Well I figured if we’re both going to the same place, there is no reason to take two cars yeah?”

“That’s not a problem. We’re going to leave around five, will you be able to be ready by then?”

“I don’t need to be dressed any certain way, do I?”