Chapter 10

WALKER

“Can I have one more refill? Please, please, please!” Miles stuck out his bottom lip to beg.

“Don’t look at me, Miles, you need to talk to Norma about that. She’s the one that has to take you home and try to get you to bed tonight.”

I reach over and ruffle my brother’s hair, something he always hates when I do, shrugging me off of him any chance he gets. After my first paycheck at my new job, Norma insisted that we go out to celebrate. I didn’t think it was really needed, but she insisted. I picked something that wouldn’t cost too much, the local diner.

It may not seem celebratory, but they had a 24-hour breakfast menu and their bagel breakfast sandwich was something that I’m pretty sure was made straight from god’s lips to the owner’s ears. It was a toasted bagel with jalapeno cream cheese, a slab of hashbrowns, three strips of bacon, country sausage, a piece of country ham, and topped with an egg however you wanted it. I always got a fried egg...always.

Miles ordered pancakes and chocolate milk. Chocolate milk was a special thing that he got when we went out to eat. He had already gone through two of them and he wasn’t even finished with his meal yet. I knew Norma would probably say yes to him having a third, but I wanted her to make that choice, not me.

Norman smiles at my brother, “You can have one more refill and then it is water if you’re still thirsty.”

“Okay, I can handle that.”

The waitress comes back over and we order refills for the table. Norma went with a pot roast dinner with iced tea and I had just water with my meal. After she brought back our refills, everybody dug into their meals again.

“So how were your first two weeks?”

“Really good. I’ve been busy, that’s for sure. I can see why they hired somebody to take over their accounting. They have a lot of stuff coming in and out and right now they don’t have that great of a bookkeeping system.”

“I assume that you’re on that?”

“It took almost the full first week, but I think we’re at a point where we can start making progress forward. My office has a pretty awesome view too.”

“I’ve heard of the Port Ranch, but I’ve never been out there. People come from far and wide to get married at that place.”

“It’s a stunning location, that’s for sure. Based on the money they’re bringing in, it is certainly a huge money-maker.”

“I should have gone into the wedding business. Especially now, people are getting married two or three times.”

Norma is a hoot. “And what exactly would you offer for a wedding service?”

She waves her hand in the air, “I haven’t figured that part out yet, Walker. Just let me dream, okay?”

“Sure thing, Norma. Just promise me when you figure it out you’ll bring me on board as your accountant and we can go in halves.”

“Sounds good. Actually, speaking of going in halves, Miles wanted to ask you about something.”

“What’s up, bud?” He was scarfing down his pancakes but took a break to answer my question.

“So, um, a couple of days ago our PE teacher gave us a paper to bring home about playing soccer. I was wondering if I could play.”

“Do you know how to play soccer?”