Chapter 11

BEV

When Walker pulled up to the ice cream shop, I was trying to hide my grin. I had already planned my play. I knew a guy like him would insist on paying for the ice cream that we all ordered, but I had planned ahead. Brooke and I were in town getting some things from the craft store when Britt called us and invited us for ice cream.

She said that she had run into Walker at Jace’s soccer practice and they decided to take the boys for ice cream. Brielle was at the ranch with Deacon and the two of them were on their way here as well. I didn’t know that Walker had a little brother, but I guess we didn’t really talk much. While we waited for them to show up, I went in and gave the girl at the front counter my card.

“Hey, Walker,” Brooke waved, being her normal cheery self. She didn’t quite understand this back-and-forth Walker and I had, but she was around when he paid me way too much for his dry cleaning. She may not have understood my plan, but she was more than willing to be an accomplice.

“Hey, Brooke. Wasn’t expecting the two of you here.”

“Britt called us since she knew we were in town. Brielle is on her way with Deacon. They should be here soon.”

“Ahh, that’s cool.” Walker finally acknowledges me, “Hi Bev.”

“Walker,” I smirk.

“Miles, this is Bev and Brooke,” he introduced us to his brother. “They are both Jace’s aunts and they work at the ranch.”

“My brother said that you have horses at the ranch, is that true?”

“Yep,” I answer Miles, “lots of horses. Have you ever ridden one?”

“I did one time at a carnival, but just in circles. Jace said he gets to ride horses all the time and his dad used to take him out.”

“I still like to ride,” Jace piped in.

Britt put her arm around her son, “Maybe sometime you can come to the ranch and ride too.”

Miles’s eyes got wide, “Walker! Did you hear that? Can we go next weekend after soccer?”

“Calm down, Mile,” he puts his arm around his brother. “We have to talk to Norma about that before we can make plans.”

The little boy’s facial expression fell “Oh, that’s right.”

“Why don’t you two go inside and start looking at the menu?” Britt suggested and the sadness seemed to be erased by excitement. Britt followed the two of them in, but Walker held back with me.

“Did I say something wrong?”

No, it’s not that. I just don’t have custody of him. I only get to take him out once a month with supervision, otherwise, his foster mom has to come with us. I’m sure that he’d really love to come to hang out, it just has to go through Norma.”

“I understand. Sorry, I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay. Things are kind of weird right now. He’s getting annoyed that I can’t take him home so it isn’t your fault.”

“Poor kiddo. I’m going to go make sure he gets an extra-large ice cream cup.”

“You would,” he shakes his head.

The ice cream shop is sort of self-serve. Once they fill your bowl or cone with ice cream, you can go over to the toppings bar and decide what to add. By the time we get in there, Miles and Jace have full bowls of ice cream ready to fill with extra goodness.

Just a few moments later, Brielle and Mitch arrive with Deacon. Britt and Brooke have already pushed a bunch of tables together and the kids are settling in. I take my time picking my toppings so I can be near the cashier when Walker makes his way up to pay for the orders that have already been taken care of.