Chapter 13

BEV

It is only two weeks away from Brielle and Mitch’s wedding and it’s kept me on my feet with a mile-long to-do list. In addition to counting down the days to her wedding, Brielle is also 9 weeks pregnant which just adds to the excitement. Her hormones fluctuate more than Fall in Oklahoma. If she’s not freaking out about some small detail, she’s crying because everything is perfect. Then just for fun, she gets morning sickness and our plans have to be put on hold.

Lucky for me, Brielle isn’t even close to the most difficult bride I’ve ever had to work with. This is why when she called me stressed out this morning, begging me to meet her out at the newly constructed pavilion, it was a no-brainer that I’d meet her and smooth whatever wrinkle she was worried about now. Sure enough, she was a bucket of nerves going on about the bad weather, how it might be too wet, and even suggesting we should cancel the event altogether.

Cancelling was not an option and thankfully she quickly realized that on her own. By the end of her rambling, she was a teary-eyed mess and I could do nothing except hold her. Seeing her so stressed just made me stressed and I found myself crying along with her. When the dust had settled, she realized how silly her breakdown was and we shared a nice laugh on our drive back to the reception barn.

I was exhausted and on my second cup of coffee going through the seating chart when there was a knock on the door to the small room Jenn was letting me use as an office. I see Walker standing there with a plastic storage container when I look up. “Hey, what are you doing here?”

“Are you busy? Jenn said you were in here.”

“Nah, I’m just trying to figure out this seating chart for the wedding. What’s up?” I sit back in my chair and cross my arms.

“Miles and Norma went on a baking spree after school yesterday and he wanted me to make sure you all got something.”

Intrigued, I lean forward and rest my elbows on the desk, “Oh yeah? What did they make?”

“Cinnamon rolls.” He held up an aluminum container. “Spoiler alert, Norma makes the best cinnamon rolls and I’ve had your mom’s, no office to her, but these things are grand.”

“I guess I can be the judge of that.”

He handed me the container and a plastic fork. I lifted open the lid and the sweet smell hit me right away. “Oh..oh my this smells amazing. How many of these did you bring today?”

“Miles gave me strict orders to make sure you got this special one and then they made a large tray for the rest of your family to sample.”

“And did his request include you hand-delivering it?”

“I was worried if I just left it in the house somebody might steal it. I was waiting for you to stop by, but you were already up before I got here today.”

“Yeah, I’ve been kind of busy putting out Brielle’s make-believe fires today.”

“I’m sure,” he chuckled.

“I’m trying this now, I don’t care if it is unladylike to take a large bit.”

“Go right ahead, Bev. You’re not prepared for how good it tastes.”

I took a big bit of the cinnamon roll and the sounds I made were probably closer to R-rated than PG. I glanced up at Walker, still standing in front of my desk, it almost looked like he was blushing at me. He quickly glanced away from me and I did the same

“This is great. I won’t tell my mom you said these were better if you don’t tell her I think the same thing.”

“Deal,” he chuckled, tucking his hands in his pockets.