Chapter 23

BEV

“What do you think of this?” Brielle asked as she ran her hand over the crib.

“That’s cute,” I join her in walking around the sample piece. “Do you think it comes in a different color?”

“You don’t like the color? What were you thinking?”

“I don’t know, but I kind of liked the idea of getting furniture in gray and then using sheets and decorations to add color.” Of course, it seemed pointless to even think about baby items right now. I had no idea where I would end up with the baby and what the nursery would look like. Construction was well on the way in the big house to convert the second floor to a living space, but it probably wouldn’t be completed by the time the baby was born.

“This is probably the color we’re looking at,” she commented on the chocolate tone of the crib in front of us.

“That’ll be cute. You do have a dark wood theme in your house, don’t you?”

“Yeah, it is Mitch’s favorite. Come on, let’s go look at baby clothes.” She grabs my hand and pulls me in the other direction.

“Why do we need to look at clothes?” Neither of us knew what we were having and I didn’t have anywhere to store extra clothes. I don’t know why she insisted on looking.

“Because they’re sooooooooo cute. Just humor me, sis.”

“Fine!”

We made our way to the far end of the store and wandered through the newborn clothes. Brielle kept holding up outfits against her little baby bump. I love seeing my sister so excited about having a baby. She’s got a full list of things that she needs to get done every month to be ready. She’s even been counting down the days until she gets to find out the gender, she’s only seven days away by the way.

It isn’t that I’m not excited. There are days that I catch my growing belly in the mirror and it almost takes my breath away. Brielle said she’s jealous of my bump, but I don’t know why. I think she looks gorgeous. I guess that is a thing women do though, compare baby bumps. We compare everything else, don’t we? I already loved this baby so much, I wondered if I’d ever feel the excitement the way she does though.

We keep wondering through the clothes. I find myself touching the clothes and daydreaming just a bit. I caught Brielle out of the corner of my eye grinning, “So did you decide if you’re going to find out the gender yet?”

“I haven’t decided. I have two weeks to decide. What are you and Mitch thinking?”

“Oh yeah, I think we are. Mitch said he wants a little girl because she’ll be pretty just like her mommy”

“He’s so wrecked for you,” I say shaking my head.

“Shut up!” She sats at my arm. “He’s romantic.”

“He is. You hit the jackpot with Mitch. I don’t think there could ever be a man as perfect in the world for you as him.”

She swings her arm around my shoulder, “You’ll find yours too, sis.”

“I know, but right now that isn’t what I’m worried about. I’m going to be a single mom and I’m finally getting to the point that I’ve accepted it. I have the support of the entire family and Mom keeps reminding me that I might be single, but I’m not alone.”

“You aren’t at all and our babies will be so close in age that it’ll be like the family raising twins and mom and dad already have experience with that!”

“You’re right.”

“You know, there is also Walker.” She shoots me a look and I can feel the heat spread over my cheeks. I can’t even avoid the way that my body reacts when I think about him. I was telling Walker the truth when I told him I couldn’t give him everything. I didn’t have much left after my heart had been torn out and stomped on. What I had left, I needed to focus mostly on this baby.