~05~

~Percy's POV

         Friday night after dinner, there was a lot more excitement than usual. At last, it was finally time for capture the flag. When the plates were cleared away, the conch horn sounded, and everyone stood at their tables. Campers yelled and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. It was about ten feet long, glistening gray, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. From the opposite side of the pavilion, Clarisse and her siblings ran in with another banner, of identical size, but instead of gray it was a gaudy red, and instead of a barn owl and olive tree their flag was painted with a bloody spear and a boar's head.

        Percy turned to Luke and yelled over the noise, "Those are the flags?"

        "Yeah."

        "Ares and Athena always lead the teams?"

        "Not always," he said. "But often."

        "So, if another cabin captures one, what do you do — repaint the flag?"

        He grinned. "You'll see. First we have to get one."

        "Whose side are we on?"

        He gave Percy a sly look as if he knew something Percy didn't. "We've made a temporary alliance with Athena. Tonight, we get the flag from Ares. And you are going to help."

        The teams were announced. Athena had allied with Apollo and Hermes, the two biggest cabins. Privileges had been traded - shower times, chore schedules, the best slots for activities - to win support. Percy glanced over at Andie who was sitting at the Apollo table with her hands folded together, a sly grin on her face. Her smile matched the one on Luke's face and he could see the family resemblance. Percy then turned away for a moment and when he looked back, she was gone. 

        "Annabeth said that she'd give me twenty extra minutes to shower if I got Apollo to align with Athena." Andie's voice said, causing Percy to jump as she had appeared at his side.

        "Long showers are really important, huh?" Percy replied.

        "With this hair, nothing is more important." Andie said. "By the way. Ares has allied themselves with everyone else: Dionysus, Demeter, Aphrodite, and Hephaestus. So, they have a big crowd."

        "Awesome." Percy spoke. 

       "You're going to love this," Luke cut in. "Camp-wide mock warfare, all glory to the victors."

        A conch shell blew and Luke's smile brightened as everyone started to run to get into place. Soon there were two sides facing each other, blue and red armor to signify the difference.

        "Heroes...it's time. The game begins. The first team to retrieve the opposing flag and return it across the river shall be the victor. As always, there will be no maiming and no killing. I trust these rules will be respected. Any magical items you may possess, are permitted as well. Every camper who is not injured has to play. Prisoners may be disarmed but may not be bound or gagged."

        While Chiron was saying all of this Percy pulled out riptide, inspecting it and wondering if he'd be able to use it.

        "It's okay, let her rip." Luke whispered.

        "I still don't even know what my job is." Percy whispered back. "Maybe I won't even need a sword."

        "Let the games begin." Chiron finished, blowing the conch shell again and the red side of the camp began their battle cry.

        "I'm going to need a sword."

        More battle cries from the blue side happened before everyone turned to figure out what their game plan was.

        Annabeth yelled, "Blue team, forward!"

        The team cheered and shook their swords and followed her down the path to the south woods. The red team yelled taunts at them as they headed off toward the north.

        Percy managed to catch up with Annabeth- Andie going along with him while she tied a golden bandana around her arm. "Hey."

        Annabeth kept marching.

        "So, what's the plan?" Percy asked. "Got any magic items you can loan me?"

         "Just watch Clarisse's spear," she said. "You don't want that thing touching you. Otherwise, don't worry. We'll take the banner from Ares. Has Luke given you your job?"

        "Border patrol, whatever that means."

        "It's easy. Stand by the creek, keep the reds away. Leave the rest to me. Athena always has a plan. Andie, you know what to do?"

        Andie grinned widely, pulling a celestial bronze bracelet off her wrist and watching as it magically turned into a bow. Percy watched with awe as she yanked her bronze necklace off and seeing it turn into a quiver of arrows which she slung on her back.

        "I always know what to do." Andie answered. "See you around, Prissy."

        Percy knew it was a tease, so he cracked a smile before Andie darted off into the woods. Annabeth pushed ahead, leaving Percy in the dust.

        "Okay," Percy mumbled. "Glad you wanted me on your team."