Chapter 3 - Growing Up, Again

The following days, Phineas helped Eddie at the farm. Phineas tended the medicinal garden and feed the animal farms. He learned farming from Eddie and looking for herbs in the forest for ingredients in medicinal potions. Eddie taught him making medicinal ointment, potions, and concoctions.

One morning the authorities came visiting to follow up and interview Phineas. Phineas felt confident that they know nothing. Phineas know that the officer is experienced in investigation and knowing if a person is lying of hiding something. Phineas decided to tell some half truths.

"I might have some memory loss but Phineas could actually be my name. I cannot remember how I came to be in a crate but I had a vague memory of being in a sort of a room with someone and lots of light. I don't don't know if I have a family, where I came from or where I was living prior to waking up in the forest", Phineas told the truth but not revealing all.

The authorities informed Phineas that they have posted bulletins and filed a lost and found report but no one reported to have been missing a boy with heterochromia or have reported any crime involving kidnapping or abductions.

Phineas said he remember some stuff about TV, radios, and communication devices just not anything personal.

The police psychologist who came with the investigators diagnosed that Phineas might be suffering from a systematized amnesia where Phineas forgets information about some particular people or family and might also be suffering from selective amnesia that Phineas has forgotten certain period of times often caused by traumatic events.

"Now that you have regained consciousness, do you want to come with us and handed over to the Town Social Services?", the officer said.

"Or you can stay here in the farm if you want", Eddie volunteered.

"I guess I'll stay with Uncle Eddie", Phineas said and turned to Eddie. "Uncle Eddie, thank you for saving my life. I promise to return the favor to you someday", Phineas said sincerely.

"Don't worry about it Phi", said Eddie embarrassed shortening Phineas' name to Phi. "You can call me Uncle Ed".

"Okay that settles it then", said the officer. "Your Uncle Ed is a good man. And an important person in the village. So you two take care of each other. Okay?"

The authorities bid them farewell and went back to village.

Uncle Ed found Phi to be a capable boy and asked him some general questions. Phi answered Uncle Ed's questions even to the point of how the herbs in the medicinal garden be used to their maximum potential. Phi prepared their meals that Uncle Ed found delicious. So Phi became the official cook in the farm.

One night Phi was sitting cross legged on the bamboo bed, facing the window staring at the night sky trying to recall what happened to him. Based on his earlier interaction with Uncle Ed and the authorities, not remembering what happened before waking up in Uncle Ed's hut was the truth. But Phi was not totally being honest though.

Phi counted himself lucky when he was found by Uncle Ed and is staying in a farm by the forest. At least he was free and no one seems to be looking for him. And the air is clean and pandemic is not so far spread out. There seems to be no radiation either so that the water is pure and the soil is rich in minerals.

Over the course of time, Uncle Ed imparted to Phi the intricate skills of Kali, a Filipino martial art focused on wielding two short swords, daggers, or fighting sticks. It proved formidable in defense and lethal in offense. Before long, Phi became proficient in the 'Doce Pares,' mastering its twelve devastating strikes.

As weeks stretched into months, Uncle Ed noticed Phi's maturity surpassed his age, becoming increasingly reliant on Phi's expertise. Phi demonstrated a deep understanding of medicinal herbs and their optimal uses, reflected in the flourishing abundance of the garden. Uncle Ed marveled as Phi effortlessly identified and transformed herbs and plants into potent medicinal potions, even skillfully handling poisonous ingredients with precise proportions for effective use.