Chapter 9 - The Secrets of the Cavern

Angel, Rupert, and Phi were at the Angel's Grove Resort having their last weekend before the school year break vacation starts.

"So guys, what are your plans this vacation?", Rupert asked. "It's about 2 months and a half".

"My parents were planning to have a vacation to somewhere else", Angel said while taking more pictures.

"I'm going to spend more time with mother at her work. Her boss was impressed with my grades and allowed me to work part time with mother", Rupert said.

"I'm going to spend more time with Uncle Ed looking for the portal back to the World on Enkantos", Phi said while looking around.

They were silent for a while. "We're serious. Stop joking." Rupert said.

"Let's take a group photo before we go", Angel said and did a few group selfie with the waterfalls in the back like they always do. "I'll post the pictures on group chat".

Only Angel owns a cell phone in their group, the rest uses messenger on Pisonet computers in Angel Grove Resort. Mr. Lopez instructed to let the friends of Angel to use the computer free of charge as he was proud of her daughter as among the top students in school with responsible friends like Rupert, and Phi.

Angel scrolled through their pictures, swiping along, while Phi's attention was caught by something specific. Several days later, Phi had a dream featuring a captivating waterfall, its image etching itself into his mind. In the dream, a shadow loomed over a mountainside where, inexplicably, open air should have been.

The following day, Phi reached out to Angel via messenger, requesting the waterfall selfies they had taken. That afternoon, the images arrived in a private chat, accompanied by a playful message from Angel, noting the effort it took to upload them and jokingly demanding a treat upon their return.

Examining the pictures, Phi found the waterfall that had intrigued him. He then sought to borrow mountaineering equipment from the resort. Though typically hesitant to ask for favors, Angel's parents had encouraged them not to be bashful, and the resort staff were already informed of their needs.

Having been taught rock climbing and mountaineering in school as part of their Physical Education curriculum, Phi and Angel were well-versed in the handling of such equipment.

Phi informed Uncle Ed of his plans for mountaineering and his temporary absence. Uncle Ed simply nodded in acknowledgment.

Since their skills had been revealed to each other, Phi would occasionally disappear for days at a time on weekends, venturing into the forest in search of portals. Remarkably, he always returned unscathed.

Uncle Ed routinely reminded Phi to take Alterra equipment on his expeditions, wary that he might encounter glitches and find himself in Alterra without necessary Alterran identification or currency.

Phi located the waterfalls and used his Divine Eye skill. However, the steepness of the mountain's side and the loose rocks posed a significant hazard for traditional rock climbing or mountaineering. Undeterred, Phi surveyed the mountain's perimeter using his Divine Eye, remaining vigilant for any discoveries.

After some careful rock climbing, he eventually ascended to the mountain's summit. It unfolded into a plateau densely populated with trees, through which a river cascaded down to the waterfalls below.

Employing his Divine Eye once more, Phi noticed a cluster of trees in the middle of the plateau, marked with the label "symmetrically replanted." The arrangement hinted at intentional landscaping, perhaps undertaken by someone in the past.

As Phi continued his exploration, his attention was drawn to a significant feature beneath massive fallen trees, labeled as a "cavern entrance." After verifying its safety, Phi secured a rope and descended into the cavern, equipped with harnesses and headlights. The sound of rushing water accompanied by glimmers of light filtering through the ceiling guided him deeper into the earth until he reached the cavern's floor.