Chapter 6: Their Plan

Evelyn followed everyone else into the room. She had no choice but to follow. She wanted was out. It didn't matter which way, out of the building or out as in life in general. Rubbing the temples of her pounding head she saw that Newt was pointing to a section of empty wall space and shelves.

"Look at the dust patterns. It’s pretty obvious that a bunch of stuff was taken recently. Maybe even within the last hour or so."

Thomas and Sonya went to inspected the area. The room was pretty dusty, enough to make Evelyn sneeze if she moved around too much.

"Bless you." Sonny whispered with a small smile.

She didn't return it. But the spots Newt pointed out were completely clean. He was dead on.

"Why is that so important?" Minho asked from behind them.

Newt turned on him. "Can’t you figure something out yourself for once, you bloody shank!"

Minho winced. He looked more shocked than angry.

"Whoa, Newt," Thomas said. "Things suck, yeah, but slim it. What’s wrong?"

"I’ll tell ya what’s bloody wrong!"

The room had gone quiet. Evelyn stood in the corner, her head jerking.

"You go all tough-guy without a plan, leading us around like a bunch of chickens lookin’ for feed." He threw a finger out at Thomas. Newt's eyes narrowed. He turned to Minho, "Minho, here, can’t take a bloody step without askin’ which foot he should use. And I gotta babysit my bloody girlfriend, cuz she can't control the buggen' Flare much longer, look at the shucked up klunk she did to that guard, Minho was suppressed to have, all 'cause she cranked!"

Minho had finally recovered enough to get ticked.

"Look, shuck-face. You’re the one acting like a genius because you figured out some guards took weapons from the weapons room. I thought I’d give you the benefit of the doubt, act like maybe you’d discovered something deeper than that. Next time I’ll pat you on the freaking back for stating the obvious. Also, you refused to let anyone else help get the crank under control! So don't start on me about your girlfriend's mental problems!"

Newt’s expression change. He seemed stricken, almost teary. Evelyn however was holding her head as it thrashed.

"Shut up shut up shut up." Evelyn whispered. She slid down the wall, holding her her tightly in her hands, trying to focus on the conversation in front of her.

"I’m sorry," Newt murmured, then turned and walked out of the room.

"What was that?" Minho whispered.

Evelyn knew Newt’s sanity was slowly being eaten away. She recognized herself. She whimpered, she knew she had given it to him. It was her fault. She had tried to warn him. Not to be near her, and to stop kissing her. It was her fault.

"Sure was you little murder. Now you get to watch the love of your life slowly slip into insanity. Won't it be fun!?"

Brenda spoke up. Evelyn focused with all her willpower on her and not the voice in her head. "You guys were missing his point.”

"Which was?" Minho asked, folding his huge arms.

"There had to have been two or three dozen guns and Launchers in this section, and now they’re all gone. Very recently. In the last hour or so, like Newt said."

"Yeah?" Minho prodded, just as Evelyn understood.

Brenda held her hands out as though the answer should be obvious. "Guards only come here when they need a replacement or want to use something besides a Launcher.