Chapter 7: Berg Pilot

Newt and Evelyn slowly got up from their huddled hug on the ground. Hand in hand they slowly walked back to the group. Evelyn kept her head down. She didn't want to see the looks of anger, disgust and pity on their faces.

They stopped outside the door, they heard voices.

"I can manage until they get back in here."

"Who knows what those two are up to. Making out again probably!" Minho said. "He’s never acted like this before. Flare’s eatin’ his brain already. And Pixy? W
Holly shuck she's gone off the deep end!"

Newt's hand clenched tighter on Evelyn's. She felt a sharp pain in her chest. Minho was always angry and hurtful when he was hurting. But still his words made her want to just run off alone right now.

"He said they needed a minute." Thomas sounded frustrated.

"Watch what you say around Them. The last thing we need is you setting him off again, which sets Evy off. You know how protective she is of any Glader, and especially him...on the best of days."

"Do you remember what I told you in the truck, back in the city? Or what Jorge said back at that shack when we waited for her to wake up?” Brenda asked.

There was silence. Newt looked down at Evelyn who was hangover head in shame.

"We talked about how increased levels of brain activity actually quicken the pace of destruction, it’s called cognitive destruction. That’s why that drug, the Bliss- is so popular with the people who can afford it. The Bliss slows brain function. It lengthens the time before you go bat crazy. But it’s really expensive."

"So.. 'cause what Evy went through in her bloody maze? What that Janson put her through, the underneath...Crank city with that Goose guy..and then who knows what else she buggen' went through...no wonder the Flare us working so bloody fast. And....same with Newt. If your buggen' maze experience was anything like ours...I'd loose it too. I don't have the Flare and I understand 'em." Sonya's voice floated through the open door into the hall.

"Do people still function, live their lives, go to work, whatever, when they’re drugged out?"

"You saw Evy on the Bliss..." Sonny's voice rumbled.

"They do what they need to do, but they’re much more … relaxed about it, like Sonny said...you saw Evelyn. You could be a fireman rescuing thirty children from an inferno, but you won’t stress if you happen to drop a few of them into the flames along the way."

Newt and Evelyn shivered. She turned into him and laid her forehead on Newt's chest. He just wrapped her up in a hug. Maybe they shouldn't be eaves dropping. But...they were finally listening and maybe they would understand a little.

"That’s just … sick."

“I gotta get me some of that stuff,” Minho's sarcastic voice made Evelyn growl.

"Did you not hear Jorge? He also said it's bloody addictive, you bloody shuck face!"

"You’re missing the point," Brenda cut in. "Think of the hell Evelyn and Newt have been through, all the decisions they had to make. No wonder the Flare is moving so fast in them. They've been stimulated too much, way more than the average person living their life day to day."

"Come on, it's time we get in there.." Newt whispered into her dirty hair. She nodded, reluctantly. He grabbed her hand and gently tugged her to follow.

"Well, there’s nothing we can do about it until we get somewhere safer."

"Do about what?" Newt asked, innocently, like they hadn't heard the whole conversation.