Chapter 22: Don't Give up on Me

Newt stood frozen, still in shock, but threw his arms out to catch Evelyn when she flung herself at him. 

"Lee?" 

"Newt!" She gasped, trying to repress a sob. "You came back?"

He pulled her tighter into him, his arms wrapped around her to sightly, his hands grabbed onto her, like she would disappear into nothingness. Evelyn felt his face burry into the crook of her neck. 

"I'm sorry! I'm so bloody sorry! Lee, I left and it was the worst. Awful." 

"I wont let you again. Ever. I can't without you." She cried, tears burnt her eyes. 

She pulled away, she could feel the crank in her head trying to push through. She felt an overwhelming anger building up inside her, it bult in her chest, she felt the blood rushing through her veins, making a rushing noise in her ears. The crank was snarling, making Evelyn growl. Evelyn's head twitched, she tried fighting it, but it hurt. It made her body hurt and her mind had a sharp pain. 

"Lee?"

"You left." She snarled. "You left me. You walked away." 

"I'm sorry." He whispered, hanging his head. "It was the worst buggen' mistake of my life." 

"What about leaving me for Tommy? Where does that land on your list?" Evelyn spat. 

"That wasn't me and you know it!" He snapped back. She could see the hurt on his face, he was trying to fight the anger now too. "What about this, then, huh?" He gestured to the huge cranks behind her. "How cozy have you been with them?" 

"Don't threaten our Princess, boy!" Spider said. taking a protective step forwards. "You maybe a Maze survivor, but I wont hesitate to break a bone." He growled. Goose held up a hand, and Spider stepped back, but he was still growling like a guard dog. Evelyn smirked and backed up to sit on the desk, lifting her chin and gave Newt a smug look. Newt looked shocked, the blood drained from his face. 

"I have a security detail, Newt. I'm a godling, right Ruffio?" She glanced over her shoulder. 

"Yes. And she will be protected at all costs." 

Evelyn looked back at Newt, crossing her arms she narrowed her eyes at him. 

"You promised to hold my hand and guide me into the next life. And that's gonna be sooner than later. So you better as shuck make a decision now!" She snarled. 

Her head twitched again. Pain shot through her head, the creepy crawling was horrible, spreading up her skull and now down her neck. She cried in pain and grabbed her head. The pain got worse; building up, making a pressure inside her skull so bad it made her want to throw up. She cried out again, hunching forward. She crumpled forwards off the desk onto the floor. She curled up, trying to squeeze her head, trying to make the pain stop. 

"Go away. Go away. Go away." She whispered. "No no no no."

That was when the pain in her chest started again. She rolled onto her back, trying to claw at her chest. Her eyes flew open in panic. The first face she saw was Newt, fear and panic on his face. All the anger she had at him was gone. She kept her panic filled eyes on his big brown ones. The dry cough started, but it wasn't as dry as it was that morning. She knew what was next; the black goo was next. Evelyn clawed at her chest. It was hard to breath, the glass rattled around her chest and the pressure in her head. 

"Hey Evey, slow down, Love. Slow down. You're okay. You're okay. Panicking makes it worse. Shhh. It's okay, you're okay. I'm here Love. I'm here." 

Newt knelt beside her, holding her infected arm gently in his and held it close to his chest. Newt smoothed the hair away from her face.  Evelyn slowly got her coughing under control, someone handed Newt a bottle of water, he helped her sit up and helped her with the water. She could hardly keep her eyes open, they fluttered closed and her head tipped. She felt arms hold her and heard a familiar thumb of his heart.