Chapter 15: Seperate Ways

The former businesses Evelyn and Newt walked past had a variety of functions, a few only needing a quick glance to know they should just move right along. Drug dens and the like. One time Evelyn tried to turn into one, something catching her eye, but Newt had a death grip on her arm and pulled her away. A lot of the others had become informal eateries, usually a couple of those Launcher-bearing guards keeping watch on the inside to make sure things didn't get out of hand—it was an unstable trifecta, indeed: Cranks, food, hunger. 

They finally found "Old Leroy's" and they both happily accepted a plate of food and chowed it down, even though they'd eaten not that long ago. It was beef again. Chicken again. Apparently the Crank Palace had no idea what a fruit or vegetable was. As Newt took his last couple of bites and wiped his mouth with a scrawny, half-wet napkin, he chuckled, making Evelyn look around with a raised eyebrow.

"Where in the hell were they getting all these bloody cows and chickens?"

Evelyn opened her mouth but then closed it, and then she snorted. The crank in her head laughed sadistically, making Evelyn laugh along. Newt gave her a twisted smile, and chuckled with her.  Evelyn's wild laughter finally slowed down and she sat quietly again, looking out the broken window. Her eyes grew sad, her body shrunk and she felt as if fingers of despair were clutching at her heart. Her eyes filled with tears and she looked back up at Newt. He was watching her with worry.

"Newt...can we go back to that shack and live unhappily ever after with Keisha, Dante, Terry, and a crazy woman with burns all over her hands and knees?" A tear slid down her dusty sweaty face. "Like...really. What are we going to do here? What's the plan?" 

Newt sat quietly for a moment. He ran a hand through his hair, and then let out a long sigh. 

"I don't know Lee. I really don't. How are you feeling?" 

She shrugged. He looked at her sadly, like he knew she was trying to hid how bad she felt and how much the Crank had ahold on her mind.

"I...I don't think I have much longer Newt." She finally admitted quietly. She looked down at her hands, which where in her lap. "This..." She gestured to the broken window and what was going on outside, "It makes sense to me. It doesn't bother me, it feels...normal. And the longer I'm here, the easier it is to slip into it, I don't have to try so hard to keep it contained, but...do I wanna say Shuck it and just let it happen or try and fight it as long as possible...even though it hurts?" 

Newt sighed, he looked out the window and shook his head, he closed his eyes for a moment, trying to collect himself. 

"Maybe, right now we just need to be with bloody familiar people again, no matter how slight the familiar part might be." Newt suggested. Evelyn just shrugged her good shoulder. 

"Come on Love. Let's finish out loop and go back. I'm sure Keisha is waiting worrying the weird mother hen she is." 

"She's worse then you, Mama Nootie!" Evelyn tried to joke, his tight lipped smile and broody eyes indicated he didn't appreciate the joke. Evelyn rolled her eyes and left back into the chaos. 

Newt held her hand tightly as they finished their circular sojourn around the Central Zone.

A few more eateries. A gym for boxers, an idea that shone supreme if they could just get the brawlers off the paved clearing and into the makeshift ring they'd set up inside. A market with crafts and odds and ends. A library, a place so crammed with books and ratty but cushioned chairs that it seemed the very definition of cozy; Evelyn actually squealed. 

"Newt!" She squealed, running over to the broken window her big green eyes wide in wonder as they flicked all over the shelves. "Keisha would love it!" She let out a gasp. "NEWT!" she turned and grasped onto his arm, and shook it, "Maybe we can bring a book or two for Dante! He would love to have a book! There isn't anything for him to do! And he's been such a good little boy!"