Chapter 17: Abandoned

No one else bothered Newt or talked to him as he made his way back to the pathetic little cabin in which they'd slept the night before. He barely saw anyone at all, even in the peripherals. His anger with Evelyn subsided and now his fear was starting to take over. His regret of leaving her. He should have stayed with her. He knew she wasn't thinking straight, he knew she was rather than him. He knew all this, yet his anger clouded everything else and he had left.

He just about sunk to the ground and cried. He did however stop in the middle of the road and turn around, as if he would be able to see her right behind him. The sun was starting to set, he would never be able to find her now. He left her behind more than an hour ago, he had no idea where she was or where Jonsey took her. Panic took hold of him so fast he felt the world teeter, he stumbled sideways, holding his chest.

His Evey, his whole world was now alone not thinking straight in the hands of a huge greasy Crank and he- left- her! A half rational thought floated through his mind, find Keisha, she's level headed, she can help find Evelyn. She can tell me what to do. He needed to write everything that happened today. He needed to get it out of his buggen'mind before it was lost to the madness that was slowly eating away his mind. 

When Newt finally reached their own little hut, he saw Dante; composed, quiet, playing with a rock, sitting by himself on the grass-patchy dirt, the door closed behind him. A terrifying thrill of panic leaped in Newt's nerves, not for the first time that day, not even for the first time in the last hour. Knowing for certain that Keisha would never leave the kid alone like this, something was wrong. Newt sprinted for the door, ripped it open, saw with a sinking heart that it was empty. Even his backpack was gone. His journal. His Launcher. Keisha's things. All of Evelyn's things. 

All of it. Gone.

First Evelyn left him alone and now Keisha. Everyone he thought would be beside him until the end was gone. He lost his balance, felt like he might faint. Leaning against the edge of the doorframe, he forced himself to breathe. Where in the hell had she gone? No, idiot , someone took her, took your things and Evey's things . He sucked in a lungful of air, then turned to Dante. Although he'd never heard the boy speak, he asked him the question anyway.

"Dante, do you know where your mom is? Your mom? Where'd she go?"

No answer, but the kid looked up at him with the saddest look of hope in his eyes. Probably just hearing the word mom had stirred something on the inside. Newt tried to shake some reason into his head, felt like the world was literally splitting apart around him, an earthquake, the big one, shaking the whole planet just to make things perfectly apocalyptic.

He made a quick run around the hut to see if she was somewhere close. Nothing. She would never leave her kid alone like this. Something happened. He forced himself to walk back to the kid, if he sunk down now he would never get up. Everything inside screamed at him to sit down and have a self pity party. Instead he picked Dante up, hefted him in his arms until it felt comfortable.

"Don't worry, little mate," he said. "We're gonna find your mom. Come on, kid. Let's go." 

Newt looked both ways down the little street, picked a direction and headed that way, he would just have to slowly wind his way back up to the Central Zone. He shivered, that place gave him the creeps. He didn't understand how Evelyn, who was always quiet and shy and hated the bonfires back in the Glade, how she could want to stay in all that chaos. He mentally smacked himself; the madness is taking over.  

The anxiety cinching up his insides with each and every step proved to be almost unbearable. The maddening uncertainty of it was enough to make his heart strain for every single beat. He had to know where she was, what had happened, an outcome, any outcome. He almost dropped Dante with the anguish that consumed him. What in the bloody hell was he going to do if he didn't find her? Evelyn was right...he should have stayed. Then the kid wouldn't be his responsibility. How could his life tail spin so fast?