Chapter 33: Hold My Hand

The sharp crack of the gun echoed off the buildings. The noise startled Newt, making him falter. His mind cleared for a moment. Panic, Newt felt pure raw panic, as he turned towards the noise pain flared in his chest. It was so intense it took his breath away. The pain radiated through his whole body. He gasped. Looking down he saw the knife in his chest. His legs gave out and his knees hit the ground. Newt couldn't stay up right, he collapsed. The pain in his chest was all consuming. His eyes cleared for a moment, the Flare fog disappeared for a moment. Letting his head flop to the side he saw Evelyn. 

Her eyes were closed, and she had a small smile, she looked content for the first time in weeks. She could have been sleeping, except for the blood that flowed uncontrollably from a small whole in her head. With the last of his strength, Newt reached a hand out. It sent a shock wave  of pain through his body. But he reached a hand out towards the girl he loved. A tear rolled down his cheek. The pain finally took him away, his breathing slowed down. His eyes clouded over again. This time it was black. The last thing he saw was Evelyn looking peaceful. He could let go now. Evelyn was finally at peace and pain free. A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. That was it.   

__________________________________________

Minho cried, a loud gut wrenching scream as his finger pulled the trigger. Just as his finger curled around the trigger someone grabbed his wrist with a loud cry of their own.

"NO!" 

The gun went off. Evelyn slumped sideways in a spray of blood. A second later, Newt dropped to the ground, gasping. A knife sticking out of his chest. He tried reaching for Evelyn. The life left his eyes. Minho twisted around and saw Goose kneeling beside him still holding his wrist. Minho yanked his hand away. And scrambled over to Evelyn and Newt's side. Thomas had dropped down beside Newt. 

Gally, Goose, Alby, Mary, Vince, Hans and Sonya and a few huge guys Minho recognized as the cranks from Crank Palace were sprinting towards them. Mary and Hans threw themselves down and started to bark orders to everyone. 

"Stop the bleeding!" Someone screamed. 

"Keep the knife there for now, it's plugging the bleeding." 

Gauze and medical supplies were thrown around, Mary, Vince and Hans were yelling all kinds of things. They had shoved Minho, Thomas, and everyone else out of the way. There was blood everywhere. Goose and his guys quickly found a big flat board somewhere, Mary and Hans got both bodies on the board. 

"Jorge has the berg hovering just over there." Vince pointed down the street. 

The group carried the board with Evelyn and Newt down the street. It was all so chaotic, no one really knew what was going on. 

"What the actual shuck is going on?" Minho yelled.

No one answered him. Thomas gave him a confused look and shrugged. Teressa had tears running down her face, she was stumbling down the street after everyone. Minho reached for her hand. It was only now Minho could hear the wild thumping of the Berg engine. The hatch was wide open. Jorge was yelling something from the cock pit. Minho had to shack his head a few times to understand what was going on. 

Mary, Hans, Vince, Brenda and some other lady had placed Evelyn's limp bloody body on a table with Newt right beside. They both looked pale and lifeless. Minho stood back, eyes wide and watched. It was only when the four of them started franticly working on Evelyn and Newt trying to save them did Goose come over. 

"What the hell happened?" He demanded. 

"Excuse me?" Minho snapped back, rounding on the guy. 

"Hey, everyone just relax." Captain Jaz said, laying a hand on both guys, "If we go sit down, let these guys work then we can figure everything out."