Chapter 31: Change of Plans

Newt and Evelyn didn't have much of a choice but to go with Goose. Evelyn had fallen asleep on his lap, he didn't want to wake her up. He closed his eyes and squeezed them tight as well as his arms around Evelyn. Goose and Ruffio climbed into the front seats, trapping him. Keisha, her brother and kids climbed into the back seats, Rex and Spider climbed into the very back. Goose started the engine and Goose backed them out of the garage and out into the dark silent night.

Goose drove them through the streets of the suburbs. There weren't any other cars out on the roads. They didn't see anyone else. There was some screaming and wild crashes they heard in the distance, but nothing close. Goose drove closer and closer to the huge walls that kept Denver separate from the Flare infested world.

The closer they got the more Newt could see that the walls weren't doing much anymore. It looked as if a full scale riot had just paced through. There were giant wholes in the walls Newt could see groups of Cranks milling about and fighting. There were fires all over the place. It looked as if WICKED soliders had been clashing with civilians and cranks alike. Body's were laying everywhere.

There was wild sirens blaring and fires blazed all over the place. Security cars and WICKED trucks swarmed the streets.

"DECLARE MARSHALL LAW. NO ONE LEFT ALIVE."

The loud speakers on every building screamed this over and over. Newt felt the crawling in his head.

________________________________

Evelyn's eyes peeled open, slowly. Everything hurt. Her headache was constant, the pressure and pounding, the aches and pains in her body, and her arm was shooting pain. Her chest was so tight it felt like breathing through a straw.

She heard voices rumbling around her. And she strained her cotton filled ears to listen.

"You have to let us out." Newt said quietly.

"What?" Keisha asked, her voice came from the back seat.

"You have to let us out of the truck. You need to leave us behind. And ditch the truck!"

"What do you mean?" Ruffio asked.

"You can’t mess with these people,"  Newt said, he sounded strained. "Sometimes I think they’ve given up on finding a cure, and now they’re just operating on… I don’t know, something like spite. Trying to prove they ever had a reason to exist. An' I don't bloody know why they want Evey so buggen' bad! She's only a few hours...and that bloody RatMan just wants to torture her again!"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"They’ll be coming after us, RatMan will be coming for Evelyn and me and there’re only two ways they can catch you guys- find this truck, or track us down. I think we know by now that tracking us down is a bloody cakewalk for them. And they obviously know where their own vehicles are. So…”

"They won't ever stop." Evelyn whispered. She felt all the heads look at her. She slowly tipped her head, looking up at the ceiling she let a few tears leak down her temples.

"He won't stop until I'm dead or he has me back. And I'm not going back." Her voice was so weak and shaky but she was determined.

"Newt. Evelyn, I’m not having this conversation." Evelyn could hear the tears and sadness in Keisha's voice. "We’ve been to Hell and back together in a very short time and I’m not gonna walk away from you."