Chapter 20: Mafia Princess

Evelyn slowly blinked her eyes open, the room was sunny and bright. The curtains were pulled wide open, happy bright sunshine was spilling into the small shabby room. Evelyn rubbed her eyes, it took a hot minute for her eyes to get used to the sudden brightness. She groaned loudly. 

"Good Morning Star Shine! The earth says HELLO!" 

Evelyn turned her head towards the voice. And a wide lopsided grin formed on her face. Standing at the foot of her bed was the Mad Hatter. Evelyn slowly sat up, sitting cross legged in Goose's bed she felt like a small child. She ran her good hand through her hair. 

"Why Good morning Hatter." 

"Dear Princess, do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Those, Hatter...are excellent questions." Evelyn thought about it for a second, continuing to run her fingers through her tangled hair. "Well, I wish you a god morning, it is good to see you, not sure if it's a good morning or not, but the sun is out and my mind feels like mine...for now, so I guess that answers the next question; for I do feel good this morning- sleeping in an actual bed is quite helpful, and as far as that last question...what has GOOD ever got me? I like being mad. Let's be mad together, shall we?" 

"Wonderful answers." He nodded seriously. He looked out the window wistfully, looking out into the bright blue sky.

"Hatter?" 

He hummed and looked back at her, his eyes unfocused. 

"Where's Goose?" 

"Oh! How silly of me!" He took his hat off, holding over his chest and bowed, "I do sincerely apologize, Princess. He said he had some business to take care of, and said he would meet you in a bit. I was sent to bring you to breakfast." 

"You work for him?" 

"That I do." He grinned mischievously, "I have eyes and ears everywhere. I hear it all.  I see it all. It's why I'm stationed at the front gate of Central Zone. It's a very no nonsense job, and I take it very seriously." He said with the most serious of faces, he even narrowed his eyes to confirm what he said.  

"Ahhh. It all makes sense." 

"Does it?"

"Nope." Evelyn popped her p. "But a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men, is it not?" 

"Too true, Princess. Too true." 

Evelyn stretched and slid out of bed. "So about this breakfast?" 

Hatter's face lit up, "Yes yes!" He grabbed her hand and pulled her to the bathroom door and shoved her inside, "Put on your Birthday clothes, we are going to a party!" 

"Why didn't you say so?" Evelyn grinned. 

She closed the door and pulled her clothes from yesterday on, and washed her face again. Straightening up, she stood staring at the girl in the mirror. Her happy mood bobbed like a bubble. She looked terrible. And she felt even worse. She didn't know if the pain in her chest was from the Flare mixing with her powers, or the heart break of watching Newt's angry frame stomp away from her. She knew deep down inside her, no one would ever be able to fully keep their promises, she would have to just maybe pick a fight with someone who could end it for her. No friend could ever pull the trigger for her. Maybe she would do what Winston did. Do it herself.  

Yes. Yes do it! Do it! Do it! 

"No. Not yet. I need to be a Crank Mafia Princess" She whispered to herself.