Chapter 30: Escaping a Crank Mob

Newt was scrunched against Keisha, who had both of her children held tightly in her lap. Her brother hadn’t made a peep since they’d first arrived; now, he blankly stared out the side window as if he’d given up on life long before this latest turn of events. Keisha didn’t say a word; her kids cried as silently as possible. Newt was so enraged he thought every blood vessel in his body might burst from the strain on his nerves, and he didn’t think the virus was to blame for much of it. He shook from anger, from all the things WICKED had done to him. It never stopped and it never would.

Three guards in the front, their backs to him, facing forward. Surely there was a way.

The truck was thrown into reverse throwing Newt around. He could hear the crunch of wood and broken house under  the huge monster wheels; which were spinning trying to find some traction. The truck finally unstuck itself, and the WICKED worker managed to turn the truck around, Newt peeked out the front windshield; he saw a line of people in the road, just at the end of the driveway. Their hands clasped like a thread of paper dolls. Goose, Ruffio, Rex and Spider were in the middle. And standing before them all, facing the truck a lone figure, her eyes lit up with something like ecstasy.

"Why’d you stop!" the female solder yelled.

"Why’d I stop?" the driver yelled back. "Why the hell do you think I stopped? There’s people in the road. Are you blind?"

"Well run over them!"

"That's Subject X! You tell the boss we ran over the one thing he's really after!" He yelled back.

Newt heard all this, but his brain couldn't process it all. His eyes were glued to Evelyn. She had taken a few steps forward. One arm swinging the hatchet, her other arm was glowing a bright blue white in the dark gloom of the evening. The frozen glow pulsed with her heart beat. Newt could see even from here, her eyes were totally frosted over, completely white now.

His heart slowly broke. Would he be able to get to her? Bring her back one last time? He felt the tears forming. Hot butter and angry. He hated WICKED. They did this to her. And to him. And their friends. He hated them!

Before the driver of their truck could respond, the front windows on both the driver’s and passenger’s sides exploded inward with a crack and crash. Arms and hands- it seemed like there were way more than accounted for the number of bodies that could fit in such a space- reached inside, grabbed at the soldiers, pulled on the inner door handles, popped the doors open.

There was a loud thud making Newt snap his head back to the front windshield. Evelyn had jumped onto the hood of the truck. She was swinging her hatchet into the glass. It was starting to shatter, it spiderwebed and started caving with each scream and swing.

The soldiers fought and kicked but all three of them were soon dragged out of the truck, trying to prevent the intruders from ripping off their helmets. The female guard failed and hers came off, revealing a pale white face covered in scars. She screamed as jagged fingernails tore at her to make new ones.

This wasn’t just Goose's crank gange from the Crank Palace. There were dozens of people out there, some looking past the Gone, others looking sane but angry. With nightmarish sounds and unbridled energy, they attacked the three WICKED guards with something like primal glee. Clothes were ripped, helmets broken, bodies beat with fists and sticks and rocks found from the side of the road. Newt stared out the window, his disbelief only matched by the rising storm of the Flare in his mind. It was taking over again, triggered by the sights and awful sounds.

"Newt!" Keisha yelled.

He looked at her, barely able to see through the spots that swam before his yes.