Chapter 29:Act 6

Phil's Diner, Tuesday, January 15th, 2008

"If I can help you with anything else, let me know!" She told the two boys in faux enthusiasm as the plates were placed before the hunters. From her pocket, she carefully put the hot sauce down and returned to her place behind the counter.

"Hey, honey. Can I get some more coffee?" An older man asked as he cut his short stack. "Of course. Cream and sugar's in the canisters just there." A few feet away, she slides the cheap powder cream and sugar closer into the mans space. 

"You're new right?" She nodded respectfully, clearing out the dishes from Mr.Picket's usual area. "What brought you to Florida?" He queried with a raised brow, carefully pouring maple syrup over his plate. 

"My parents died. I got emancipated and I decided to travel with my brother." The staged answer fell from her lips easily as she'd been giving the same stale answer multiple times a day for the last week. "Oh wow. Sorry for your loss." After getting the same response as always, Estella's patience began to snap. "Not really, they sucked." 

He quirked his lips to the side in a smirk with an approving nod. "Parents are terrible. Awful people really. Always so self righteous yet absent." She agreed with narrowed eyes, refilling her large mug of coffee, pouring in the cream and sugar cubes she preferred. 

"What about you, sir? What keeps you in the sunshine state?" 

"Disney World, obviously."

"Obviously." She knocked against her head. "Have you ever been?" She sipped her hot coffee, nearly burning off her tastebuds and shakes her head. "We've only been in Florida for about 2 weeks. We flew out straight from Scotland, so we haven't had the time nor funds." 

"I see. Is this your first time in the US?" He pops a square of fluffy pancake into his mouth and chews slowly, waiting for her answer. "I visited New Orleans and bounced around Virginia and Chicago with a friend before everything, but my brother's never left Europe."

"So he's travelled a bit there while you've travelled a bit here." He surmised. "Yes, that's an accurate way to put it. He prefers Italy and Bulgaria over America, but I have a feeling that it's because of the architecture and lack of more modern technology."

"Oh, Italy and Bulgaria. Do you speak other languages then?" 

" I do. I've been learning a new language every year since I was 10, so i'm rather equipped for travel."

"That's incredible...." 

Their conversation continued as the two hunters finished their food, soon leaving to explore the towns biggest attraction. Estella's gut was telling her something was wrong, and her memory has been quite staticky since the binding of her magic.