Chapter 5

Martyn's Perspective-

There was something...different about Scott.

I can't tell you what exactly, but he was different in the sense that he understood me.

Like...he was there for me.

Maybe it was just because he was my superhero partner, but I don't really know.

Whatever it was, it was nice. To have someone that I could be myself around.

I could joke around and prank him, and he wouldn't be too mad.

He always checked in on me, despite me refusing to tell him if something was wrong.

It felt nice to have someone in my corner.

He helped me start to believe that everything would be okay.

-

Martyn sat on a bench at the park, watching as the leaves fell from the trees as the seasons changed.

He picked up a crumpled-up leaf and crushed it in his hand, watching as the bits and pieces of it flew off with the wind.

"Are you having one of those dramatic moments in shows and movies where the character starts to talk about his life?" Scott asked, smiling sarcastically.

Martyn looked up and saw that Scott was biking around the park.

Martyn chuckled and shook his head.

"Hey Scott, what're you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

Martyn shrugged and watched as Scott parked his bike and sat down on the bench.

"So, what are you doing on this fine evening?" Scott asked.

"Just relaxing. Life's stressful, you know?"

"Yeah. Wanna talk about it?"

"I'm good, thanks."

Scott giggled, "Still not going to open up to me?"

"I'll pass, thanks."

Scott shrugged, smiling a bit.

"But thanks for checking up on me." Martyn said, "I appreciate it, despite me always turning down your offer."

"That's what friends are for. Besides, since we're superhero partners, we need to get to know each other in order to work well together."

"True." Martyn said, nodding.

"And whether you like it or not, I'm gonna get you to open up to me."

Martyn chuckled and smiled at Scott.

"Thanks."

-

I knew something was happening with me and my feelings. It was obvious that I was feeling something towards Scott.

Something I had never really felt before.

I knew other people had felt this way towards each other as relationships were forming at my school, but I had no experience in this matter.

These emotions were all new and different and Scott was starting to take over my thoughts.

It became overwhelming and too much for me to handle.

And I knew I had to tell him.

-

Martyn looked at Scott as he stepped out of the water.

He shook his head, some of the droplets flying out and sinking into the sand.

Martyn flushed red as he saw Scott.

The little bits of coral and seaweed in his outfit and hair just made him look even cuter.

"H-hey Scott, good job at training today." Martyn said, smiling nervously.

"Thanks!" Scott smiled brightly, "You did good too."

"Aw, thanks."

They both smiled at each other, and Martyn felt my heart ache.

Face it, he just likes you in a friendly way.

Martyn sighed and looked down and Scott looked concerned.

"Hey, you alright?" He asked and Martyn looked up at him.

"Uh- y-yeah, I'm alright."

Scott raised an eyebrow.

Martyn laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck, looking back down.

"Martyn- "

"Alright, I'll tell you."

Scott smiled softly and nodded, waiting for Martyn to explain.

Martyn took a deep breath and slickly spun the hourglass on his belt around, freezing time.

"S-Scott...I like you." Martyn said, knowing that no one could hear him.

"I...I know we're just friends, probably only superhero partners, but I just...needed to say it. Because sometimes...no, a lot of the times, you drive me insane with all the little things you do. You always twirl your hair while you're focusing and when you get bits of coral in your hair, you wear it as if it's a fashion statement." Martyn laughed nervously, glancing up at Scott, who was frozen.

Martyn stepped closer to Scott and gently rubbed his cheek.

Martyn sighed and looked down.

"I just wish that I wasn't so scared." He whispered before stepping back and watching as time slowly started to flow normally again.

Scott smiled encouragingly at Martyn, having no idea of what had just happened.

"Well? Are you going to explain what's wrong?" He asked.

Martyn smiled up at Scott, tears shimmering in Martyn's eyes.

"I think I'm good." Martyn whispered, his voice quivering.

Before Scott could say anything, the coach blew their whistle and Martyn turned on his heel, walking away.