Chapter 9

Martyn's Perspective-

"It broke?" The doctor repeated, starstruck.

Martyn nodded.

His parents exchanged worried looks and Martyn sighed.

Scott smiled gently at Martyn, though he was equally as worried.

The doctor looked at the broken hourglass and she narrowed her eyes.

"I don't think I've ever heard of something like this happening before." She muttered.

"What'll happen? Are his powers okay?" Martyn's mother asked.

"Well, he mentioned that he teleported back in time, which he isn't supposed to do. He's only supposed to be able to freeze time." The doctor said, "I'm sure something with his powers changed. And I'm not sure if it's good or bad."

"Will I still be able to freeze time without the hourglass?" Martyn asked.

The doctor tapped her pen on her clipboard.

"I'm...not entirely sure. We make it so the hourglass isn't able to break, but when you went back in time, since you aren't supposed to be able to do that, I imagine your powers somehow shattered."

Martyn's eyes widened.

"I- I don't have my powers anymore?!"

"You might not, I'm sorry to say."

Martyn went home that day feeling numb inside.

He felt as though he had messed everything up.

-

Martyn trudged into class and Scott ran up to him.

"Martyn! I'm glad you're okay. So...I've been thinking...you know those twins in our classes? The ones who have a purple eye on their forehead?"

"Er- yeah?"

"They have the power to go into the future and past, maybe they can somehow help figure this out!"

"But..." Martyn trailed off, and Scott held his hand.

"Please. We just have to try."

Martyn blushed and smiled a bit before nodding.

-

"Ugh, Brayden, stop doing that." Tabes said, disgusted as her brother tried to balance a pepperoni on his nose.

Martyn and Scott walked over to them at lunch and Scott cleared his throat, causing Brayden to drop the pepperoni.

"Oh come on!! That was my last one." He said in a bit of a whiny tone.

"Sorry, but may we talk to you?" Scott asked.

"What's up?" Tabes tilted her head.

Tabes and Brayden Finn. They were twins who had the power to go into the future and past. Tabes had light pink hair that was normally in a braid. She had bangs over a purple eye on her forehead and normally kept to herself. She was good at talking to new people, but she was extremely quiet in class. Brayden, on the other hand, was very loud and knew almost everyone at their school. He was rambunctious and had light blue hair that had a pink streak in it.

"We wanted to ask you guys questions about your powers." Scott said, sitting down.

Tabes sighed, "I'm not going to go to the past to bring you guys a pet dinosaur."

Scott laughed, "No, no that's not why we're talking to you."

"Cut to the chase, what do you guys need?" Brayden asked and Tabes shot him a look, signaling to him to be nice.

Brayden rolled his eyes.

"We were wondering what would happen if someone who had the power to freeze time could suddenly travel to the past." Martyn cut in.

...

Tabes blinked, "I'm sorry?"

Martyn sighed and slowly started to explain what happened. Scott smiled encouragingly at him and gently held his hand under the table.

At the end, Tabes was determined to try and figure out what the problem was and help them.

She led them to her friend B. They all walked to the library and B grabbed the books about time travel.

"Jeez, this'll take forever." Martyn said, grabbing a book.

"Not forever. Just about twenty minutes. At most." B said.

Martyn and Scott raised their eyebrows.

B giggled, "My power makes it, so I just have to read the title of the book and I'll know everything about it."

"Wow! That's useful." Scott said and B nodded.

They grabbed a book and got started.

At the end, they said there was a way to help Martyn make a new hourglass and retrieve his powers.

"It's not all lost, but your powers are much weaker than they were. And if you don't mind me asking, what caused you to go back in time in the first place?"

"Oh...I uh- lost control of my emotions..." Martyn said, trailing off.

B looked concerned and Martyn brushed it off.

"It's fine. Just...how do I fix this?"

Okay so B, Tabes, and Brayden are three of my original characters in a part of the first story I ever wrote called The Story That Has No Name. It was never finished as I ended up finding mcyt and this community and switched to writing fanfiction, but while writing this, I remembered how I made Brayden and Tabes have the power to go into the future and past and thought it'd be fun to include them in this story.