19

Vishnupriya sat there idle by the window as she looked outside staring at nothing in particular.

Days had passed, the Rajmata and the Pandav Rajkumars were to leave for Varnavrat soon. Vishnupriya sat there in silence, her thoughts clouded by the thoughts of Ghan Shyam.

"Will he come back?" she whispered, her voice lacing with uncertainty and fear. Her years of firm believing that Hari would return had turned into uncertainty and doubt. She had started giving up on the hope that Krishna would return so tonight for the first time in years she decided to take off her shringar, change into her night clothes and go to bed.

Before going to bed she went to the main gates. She looked outside for a little while but after seeing nobody in sight she sighed and closed the door, locking it from inside. For the first time in years the door of Kritida-ladi's bhavan had been shut close.

Her heart ached as she rested her forehead against the door. "He won't come.." her voice cracked a little as she spoke the words to herself, trying to get used to the reality. The fire of hope which was flickering just few minutes ago had now completely been extinguished.

With heavy steps she made her way back to her room and closed the door shut to retire for the day.

Rajmata of Hastinapur, Rajmata Kunti stood there watching the scene with sad eyes from the window of her room. She looked across the courtyard to the room of Brihannala which was been shut closed, she sighed and silently prayed to the Lord before retiring back to bed herself.

.

..

The next day in the bhavan of Kritida ladli, no fresh batch of makhan was made like it used to before, no chit chat and laughter of the gopikas rang throughout the bhavan like when they did Vishnupriya's shringar.

Since Vishnupriya had given up on the hope that Shyam would return back to Vrindavan she found no need of the gopikas doing her shringar to look her best. She quietly did her shringar by herself, keeping things minimal.

She wore white upper garment with the pink cotton fabric as a robe with the end placed diagonal to her body draping over her shoulder. 

She wore a simple gold necklace which was gifted to her by her older sister, the beautiful Radharani who now lived in Barsana. "Did he meet didi at least? I hope he did, at least a letter if not. Didi would be extremely happy." she thought as she wore the necklace. She combed her long black hair and left it loose while putting a chunri over her head and pinning it with few flowers.

"Should I wear the nath and the bangles with the jhoomka? He does like it when they chime and jingle." Vishnupriya thought looking at the jewelries infront of her. "It's not like he's going to hear it. It will only take my time and hinder me during work." she said skipping over them and opting for a simple nose pin and haath phool.

She looked at herself in the mirror. She was satisfied by the results though the regular excitement, laughter and the red flush on her cheeks were absent from her whole routine. She silently made her way downstairs to open the doors of the bhavan that she had locked last night.

The sound of her payal echoed in the corridor as she moved towards the main gates of the bhavan. As she unlocked the door and opened it, the key fell on the ground causing her to look down.

She bent down to pick it and when she stood up she was greeted by a man stumbling right infront of her almost bumping into her surprising her.

"Are you okay?" she asked surprised. "Y-yes." the man answered abit embarrassed. Vishnupriya looked at the man infront of her, she noticed that he was really tall and handsome blessed with the beauty that rivaled that of Soma. The silver clothing and gold jewelry complimented his dark skin well. He quickly fixed his unkempt hair which was slightly covering his copper eyes. He seemed to be older than her, just around the age of her Shyam. Though she had given up all her hopes, all that clouded her mind were the thoughts of her Shyam, finding her Krishn in everything, everywhere.

"I'm so sorry. I uhmmmm kinda slipped." the man apologized. "There is no need to apologize, Rajkumar Arjun." Vishnupriya said chuckling softly shaking her head.

"You know me?" Arjuna's eyes widened. "How did you know that I'm Arjun?" He was afraid that she found out that his face happened to match the face of his dasi and her sakhi who just left for Varnavrat beforehand abit way too early.  

"One of the best archers the world has ever seen who makes all the ladies of Aryavrat swoon just by listening about him. How could I not recognize the Printha putra, Parth?" Vishnupriya smiled.

Arjun just shook his head chuckling. "If that's the case then I am honored Srimati Vishnupriya. Kaunteya Arjun greets the beautiful Radhika sodari, Yashodhara. Pranipat." he said charmingly joining his hands, greeting her.

"Pranam Rajkumar Arjun. Please enter, your mother and brothers have long anticipated your arrival." Vishnupriya said welcoming him inside.

"Forgive me for my late arrival, Yashodhara. As for some work with my Madhav stalled me in Dwarka for much longer time than expected." Arjuna started a conversation. Vishnupriya simply smiled and shook her head. "There is no need to apologize, Rajkumar. It's well known in Aryavrat that you are the dear cousin and friend to the glorious Dwarkadheesh. You got nothing to apologize for." she said.

Arjuna frowned abit hearing her response. He had expected her to ask about his Madhav like how she did when he was in the disguise of Brihannala. His frown deepened even further when he noticed that she had referred his Madhav as Dwarkadheesh instead of the names like 'Kanha', 'Krishn' or 'Shyam' that she often affectionately used while addressing his cousin.

"I had heard that Vrishabhanu-dulari's bhavan's doors were always open but today when I came it was shut closed and locked from inside. Why is that so." Arjuna asked. "Was the rumor I heard just a phrase to describe your karuna daayi heart which is always open for people or a literal fact?" he added.

"A phrase...." Vishnupriya replied. "Your mother and brothers, the Rajmata and Rajkumars of the glorious Kuruvansh are residing here in this bhavan. It was be unconventional and unsafe to leave the door open the whole night without anybody to guard it." she added making Arjun halt with eyes slightly widened.

"You must be tired and hungry from the long journey from Dwarka to Vrindavan. The breakfast is to be served in a while. Please wait just for a little while, I'll be quick." Vishnupriya said and quickly left for the kitchen.

"Putra! you finally arrived!" Kunti said rushing towards her son who had been missing for a few days with Brihannala's exit from the scene. "Pranipat mata." he bent and touched his mother's feet to get her blessing. "Ayushman bhava." Kunti blessed her son.

Arjuna then moved towards his brothers to hug him. "Why was the door shut close and locked from inside, mata?" Arjuna turned to ask his mother. "It would be unsafe to leave the door open all night." Kunti answered.

"But-" "Yashodhara didn't wait for him last night." Kunti answered before Arjuna could ask the question making his eyes widen. "Wh-what? But why?" he asked. "It seems like she has given up on the hope of him returning back. Along with the door of this bhavan, she shut and locked all the doors of her heart as well, fearing that it would provide a home to new hope and anticipation once again which would only give her pain and heart ache in return." Kunti said.

"Let's go now, mata. Breakfast must have been served by now." Yudhistir said as the Pandavas and their mata left for the dining where Vishnupriya was serving the plates and glass of water on the table.

"Bhrata Arjun? Why is there a red hand print on your back?" Arjun questioned noticing a hand print of his elder brother's back. "There is a mark?" Arjun's eyes widened making the two Madrinandans nod. "No wonder. He pushed me way too hard, if it weren't for me, myself I would have been sprawled across the floor." Arjun mumbled rubbing his back as he moved inside along with his brothers.