Chapter 4.2: Nih's Tale

"You're quite a character. There's been a certain number of people like you who've gone missing lately. I should thank you for ridding us of them, but I know your motives are purely selfish," I retorted, drawing my two daggers as my black serpents slithered down my arms, the wind whipping up sand around us.

"We don't want to fight you," Jan interjected, drawing his blade with a stance that signaled readiness for a semi-aggressive confrontation, contradicting his typically passive demeanor.

"Jan, Formation Inversion," I commanded, prompting Jan to recall our extensive training sessions and discussions on formations. Given my track record of the highest head counts of people eliminated by my hand, Dyaldic assumed command next, but only in situations where I was incapacitated. Each of us had designated roles within the team, and in combat scenarios, I served as the general, orchestrating our maneuvers.

"What! Why?" Jan exclaimed, having scanned them with [Appraisal] to gain insights. However, the information gleaned was deceptive. I recalled from records and my father's explanations that these two displayed false appraisal data to those with the ability to scan them accurately. Their true nature remained shrouded in mystery, adding a layer of complexity to our current predicament.

Aed would have been invaluable in this situation, his ability to possessing a counter skills, one capable of even countering the challenging false information and providing us with accurate insights. His absence was keenly felt as I glared at Jan, who still seemed perplexed by the unfolding events.

Meanwhile, the rest of our group had heeded our instructions and gathered away from the potential conflict. Dyaldic, though still groggy, stood ready to assist. The two adversaries appeared amused by the spectacle, making no aggressive moves. Their display of superiority irked me; to them, we were mere children, easily disposed of. They underestimated the danger we posed, a misconception I intended to correct.

Like a cat stalking mice, the outcome seemed predetermined. However, mice and rats were not one and the same. Rats thrived through resilience, while mice ventured into experimental territories. Each had its survival strategy. In the current scenario, the two adversaries remained unaware of the serpent in our midst—Fed, our counterfeit Aed.

"Yeshia, I'm sorry, but it's more effective this way," I'd express, sensing her disagreement. Yet, as our eyes met, her shock was palpable, and she turned to Jan with a gaze filled with disbelief. "Jan, listen. Nih wouldn't say it, if he wasn't serious."

"Okay, but what about them? What if they attack our allies? This plan doesn't account for their potential aggression!" Jan retorted angrily, his frustration evident. He recognized that the formation only addressed internal security concerns, neglecting external threats. While we had other formations in reserve, I couldn't risk deploying them against these particular adversaries without prior practice sessions. Jan's impulsive reaction overlooked this crucial consideration, appearing somewhat childish in the heat of the moment.

"They'll form a separated alibi-supporting faction. We can't ensure their protection, but they should either create distance or cause disorder," I explained, maintaining my focus on the enemies before us, who seemed bored with the unfolding scenario. It had only been two minutes, yet the mage had drawn her staff, while the knight placed his sword into his shield before resting his hands on his hips.

"Shit. Everyone, stay out of this fight! Protect yourselves. Act only if we're harmed! Jan, be prepared! Aed, attack with 100% lethality!" My Ultimate Skill alerted me to imminent threats and provided situational awareness. In this moment, I received a warning of the impending danger encompassing the vast range around us. Mana pulsed throughout the area, enveloping us in an invisible barrier.