Chapter 13: Masquerade Massacre

Scary gritted his teeth as he caught himself messing with the rims of his folded sleeves for the fifth time. Normally, he was never this nervous, or antsy about anything, but he was. His mark was still slightly swollen and it ached horribly. His body felt cold and nearly unbearable. He tried his hardest to ignore the stares of not only Kazune's, but also Oberon's. It was highly unnerving and uncomfortable to have the attention of both kings. He felt someone tap his shoulder.

"What?" he snapped harshly, turning his head to glare at that someone. A brown-haired girl with a white and crimson mask was taken aback for a moment before giving him a tight frown.

"You're unusually snappy tonight." the girl said. Scary immediately recognized her voice. He placed a hand on his hip and scowled at her.

"And you look absolutely awkward without your uniform, The Flash." he retorted. Asuna's eyes narrowed in annoyance.

"Where did you pick that up from?" she demanded.

Scary just humphed as he shrugged his shoulders carelessly. "Why do you care? It's your title, isn't it?" Asuna scowled as he continued. "By the way, aren't you supposed to watching 'Kazumi'?"

Asuna turned her head away and crossed her gloved arms with a huff. "I was, but 'she' was dragged in here with Princess Sinon."

Scary widened his eyes as he took in her words. "...I'm sorry, but did you just say that my sister just took Kazut-I mean, 'Kazumi' and dragged hi-her in here?"

The swordswoman held out a hand in the Princess's direction. "Well, see for yourself, Your Highness."

Scary followed her hand and paled when he saw Kazumi being introduced to a Faerie with blue-green wings by a familiar teal-haired girl. He could clearly see that Kazumi was trying 'her' hardest not to cry. His sister completely ignored Kazumi's reaction as she cheerfully said something.

"By the..." Scary began. His eyes widened as 'Kazumi' was taken by the noble and led to the dance floor. Immediately, Scary grabbed Asuna's hand and pulled her with him.

"Whoa! Hey!" Asuna exclaimed as she was dragged to the dance floor. "I don't know how to dance!"

"Unless you want to deal with an extremely pissed off Kazuto later, then Goddess-damn grin and bear it. Now, shut up, and follow my lead." Scary muttered. Asuna gasped when Scary smoothly pulled her into the circle formation and settled into the beat nicely. She blushed furiously at the closeness between her and the Prince. Several times, she nearly stepped on his foot, but the Prince was careful to avoid the missteps with ease.

Asuna glared at him through her blush, "Why do you know how to dance so well with an amateur like me?"

She almost regretted the question when dread crossed his face faster than she could blink. "Lots, and lots, and lots of deadly practice."

"Eh?"

Scary forced a smile that made Asuna flinch. The Prince of Gale was obviously bad at smiling. Asuna couldn't help but wonder how many children he would scare off with that expression. "Let's just say I had way too many suitors."

"...Okay, now my interest is piqued. What?"

*Stomp!*

"Ow!" Scary cringed as Asuna's heel dug into his shoe. Asuna looked down in surprise.

"I'm sorry!" she apologized as she watched their feet. She was amazed that Scary kept going without missing a single beat in the festive song...considering the dent she left in his shoe.

"By the Goddess, Asuna, you're stronger than any normal woman...!" Scary hissed as he kept leading the way.

"Ahahaha, well, I am the Sub-Commander for a reason, Your Highness." Asuna muttered with a sheepish laugh. The music began to crescendo and Scary twirled Asuna with a tiny bit of difficulty. Asuna nearly lost herself to the music as she followed Scary's lead until his voice surprised her.