TWO

"Lady?" Brida's voice bounced off the walls of the room I held at Ragnar's fortress.

"You may enter." I raised my head from the picture I drew under the candle light, dusting off the excess coal from the page. I turned my head to Saga, who had her head bent, half sleeping and half awake. "You will go and rest, Saga. This is a conversation to be kept private."

Saga startled slightly, her eyes snapping to mine, wide. Then, she rose from sitting on my bed, bowing her head. "I will be across the hall, Lady."

"And I shall summon you, if you are needed." I smiled, motioning to the door.

She padded across the floor, opening the door, revealing Brida's serious face.

"You may enter, Brida," Saga told her softly, dodging around her and disappearing into her own room.

Brida was quiet as she studied my position at my scribe's table and unlike Saga, her footsteps made the floorboards creak as she walked.

"Your heart is bothered." I turned on my stool, gesturing for her to sit on my bed. "Relieve your worries onto me. I will talk to the Gods."

A smile broke Brida's sombre face and she collapsed onto my bed. "I worry for Ragnar."

"She fears betrayal..." a whisper sounded in my ear.

My back straightened and I clasped my hands into my lap. "You fear he will be betrayed?"

Brida was not shocked my knowledge, she simply nodded. "Uhtred has turned his back to Ragnar before. I worry it will happen again." She hesitated then, her mouth closing as her words died on her tongue.

"She wishes to know of the curse..." Freyja's words echoed around me, low and wispy.

"Are you worried he will die whilst Ragnar holds him in his heart?" I tilted my head slightly, my eyes catching sight of the way the flames of my candle stretched higher.

"No," Brida denied, "I am worried he will run back to his Saxon turd."

"You should worry less about the Saxon turd." I repeated her words to her, standing from my stool. "He will not live much longer."

Brida did not look reassured and she bent her head. "Uhtred may still go to him. He may still break Ragnar's heart."

My heart thumped and the hairs on the back of my neck rose, whispers chorusing around me. "You do not want me to break the curse."

Brida's head snapped up again, her eyes going wide. "I do not want his death."

"But you do not want his freedom either," I decided, walking forwards to sit beside her on the bed.

Brida reached out, holding onto my hand with both of hers. "I do not want him to leave the second he knows he can. You hold him here. You power holds him here."

"A nithstong can be transported," I reminded her calmly.

"I beg of you." Brida got down from the bed, my hand still in hers as she crouched on the floor, the moonlight cascading over her face. "I beg of you to give me more time. I wish to know if he is loyal and worthy."

I glanced behind her, at the flame of the candle that had now calmed; the Gods were no longer interested in our talks. "Very well. I will not heal him tonight."

"Thank you," Brida burst out, standing swiftly, squeezing my hand. "I need just a week."

I nodded slowly, standing with her, "I can do a week." She went to thank me again but I stopped her, covering her hands with mine. "But I must tell you something first."