TEN

"Lord Uhtred." I called out, crossing the street swiftly, seeking out the Lord who stared at nothing in particular, sharpening his sword.

He raised his head, his brows pinching, "Lady."

"Please," I snorted, "I am hardly a lady. I would prefer if you just called me Gyda."

"You are your father's daughter," Uhtred lowered his sword as I sat opposite him.

"And what a great curse that has been," I smiled sarcastically, smoothing out my dress. "How are you holding up? I saw in a vision that you and Brida reunited, trying to help Ragnar."

Uhtred sighed heavily, placing his sword down on a tree stump used for sword practise. "Do you know everything?"

I shrugged slightly, trying to feign that I was happy, "Not everything, just a lot."

Uhtred did not meet my eyes, staring at the ground as he clasped his hands, balancing his arms on his knees. "Ragnar is in Niflheim."

My heart panged, with sorrow and sympathy, "I know. I felt it. I tried to talk to him but... the Gods would not let me."

It was true; I had tried draught after draught and many sleepless nights trying to appease the Gods, just for a minute with Ragnar. They had refused even the offer of ten years of my life.

"You say he was betrayed?" Uhtred confirmed, catching my eye and making me raise my head, "Who by?"

I swallowed, wringing my hands together, "When I flew to Ragnar, someone caught my raven and burnt the letter for Ragnar. He also wished to have me killed, with the help of my brother."

"Who?" Uhtred asked again, his eyes narrowing.

My heart jumped slightly, and I wet my lips; I could not prove it was Cnut. Uhtred would just have to trust my words, and I had had a history of people doubting me before.

"La— Gyda," Uhtred urged, his hand reaching out to cover my wrist, "Who killed my brother?"

I snapped my head up, frowning at him, "Uhtred,"

"Yes?" Uhtred nodded quickly.

"I said I know who betrayed your brother," I shook my head slowly, "I do not know who killed him."

"They are not the same person?" Uhtred frowned in confusion, letting go of me.

"They may not be," I shrugged, "I do not know."

His gaze turned distant again but only for a moment before his anger returned, and he nodded at me, "Betrayal is as bad as killing him. Tell me."

I bowed my head, looking at my hands instead, "Ragnar was betrayed by his cousin, Uhtred."

Uhtred was silent, the only sound circling us coming from the wind.

I dared to look up, meeting his eyes that burned with rage, "Cnut betrayed Ragnar."

Uhtred stood up abruptly, pacing back and forth in front of the blacksmith's stall, his hand burying into his hair. "I left him there with Cnut. I left him with that traitor! I did thi—"

"Lord," I jumped up, rushing to block his pacing, settling my hands on his shoulder, "No. You did not do this. This was not your doing at all. Someone else is responsible for this."

Uhtred snapped his head up, tears of rage lining his eyes, "Who?"

I tilted my head slightly, sympathy blooming inside me. "I warned your brother when you arrived in Dunholm that your life was worth three."