FORTY-NINE

MangoMischief, thank you for your support x

I burst into one of the tents we had taken over, anger coursing through me as I tossed aside some of the books and scrolls decorating a small desk inside it.

Sihtric followed me into the tent, having the good sense to wait at the entrance while I seethed.

I tore at the armour on my body, the metal suddenly too heavy and too tight, but my fingers could not weave through the thread.

"Here," Sihtric murmured, coming closer and reaching out, "let m—"

"Do not touch me!" I snapped, whipping around, breathing heavily, my eyes going wide as I looked up at him. "Do not dare put your hands on me."

The rhythm of his heart changed, but I did not care if I had hurt him.

I returned to pulling at my armour, tossing my sword onto the bed in the tent and using both hands.

"Gyda..." Sihtric whispered, "it is not what it looks like. I did not betray Northumbria."

"Really?" I quipped, finally managing to loosen the breastplate and pull it off my body as I turned my back to him. "Because it looked that way to me."

"It is not like that," Sihtric swore, "I rode out to find Uhtred last night because I wished to stop senseless bloodshed. I wanted to keep you safe. I wanted to keep Northumbria safe."

"It is not your job to keep Northumbria safe," I snorted, still bitter over our fight back in Dunholm, "you have made yourself clear about that."

"Gyda," Sihtric stepped closer to me again, his chest brushing against my back, "I did not mean what I said. I was not thinking, and my tongue spat lies. I was just afraid; battle costs lives. You are already injured from Eforwic, I did not want you to go into battle again."

Though his heartbeat did not change, I could not soothe the hurt he had made me feel quite yet. I shuffled to the side, stepping away from him and slipping off my armbands.

"Please," Sihtric followed me with his eyes, "I only rode to Uhtred to speak with him and try and convince Edward. It was too late for me to speak to Edward, but we rode straight here to stop more slaughter."

"And Rúna?" I scoffed, turning around to face him at last, "Was there any reason for you to take her?"

"She would not let me go," Sihtric faltered, his eyes burning brightly with emotion, "she threatened to wake you as I was leaving, so I took her with me."

"You should have left her at home," I grit out, "she is not safe here."

"I know," Sihtric nodded quickly, "I am sorry for that too. I was desperate to fix the situation so much so that I did not think beyond my decision. It was foolish and reckless." He stepped towards me slowly, his hand creeping out to take mine.

"Do not," I crossed my arms over my chest, "I am furious with you."

"I promise you, My Love," Sihtric groaned, closing the gap between us so I could not escape him, his hand grabbing mine and forcing it on his chest, over his heart. "You can hear my heart. You know I do not lie to you. I would never betray you."