FORTY-EIGHT

Creeping across the ice felt nerve-wracking, and the fear of any cracks or drowning gave the warriors good enough motivation to step gently and quietly.

The Saxon camp slept as we reached the bank, and Sigtryggr was the first off the ice, offering his hand to me and then, to Emil.

"When fifty have crossed," I whispered, crouching and creeping forward, "we attack."

"Yes, My Queen," Sigtryggr mumbled, eyeing the torches surrounding the tents.

We had two hundred warriors with us ready to fight in total. They would be enough for the camp to kill them all.

"Twenty are here," Wolland hissed, crouching beside Emil and thumping his back.

Sigtryggr clenched his jaw, his fingers tightening around his blade.

"Forty," Olav joined us as well, throwing me a weary smile.

I pulled my sword from my sheath, whispering one final prayer to the Gods.

"Fifty," Tormund grinned, landing beside us, "it is time to spill their guts."

My blood bubbled with anger and excitement, and I began to walk forward, the warriors following me as more crossed the lake.

"Kill the guards," Olav hissed, grabbing one as he spotted us, covering his mouth and slitting his throat.

Sigtryggr and Wolland killed three more as they spotted but were not quick enough to sound the alarm.

I made for the tent nearest to me, creeping over to the bed and stabbing my sword into it.

A cry filled the tent as the man in it died, but I paid little mind to it and continued, moving onto the next tent, Emil close behind me at all times.

"I thought there would be a shield wall," Emil whispered, following after me into another tent.

"There are no soldiers awake yet," I murmured back quietly, running my blade across another Saxon's throat as he slept, his blood spraying over the bed. "There is no need for a shield wall until they know we are here."

"Is it not cowardly to kill them in their sleep?" Emil rushed after me as I darted around the camp.

"It is foolish to wake them and wait to be killed by them," I snorted softly, darting between more tents.

"Fire!" A yell sounded, "Fi— Danes! Wake up! There are Da—" The man who alerted the camp was slain by Tormund.

I sighed, grabbing Emil's arm and pulling him after me, "They are awake now."

"Do we make a wall now or—"

"Ah!" 

I pushed Emil away as a Saxon warrior rushed towards us, ducking and slashing my sword across his thigh. 

He fell into the dirt, and I whipped back around, stabbing my sword into his back before pulling it back out.

Emil blinked, his eyes wide, "I have never seen you kill up close before."

I threw him a hurried grin, grabbing his arm again, "It is a month for a lot of firsts."

"Kill them all!" Sigtryggr roared nearby, and I rushed over to the sound, manoeuvring between Danes.

I pushed Emil against Sigtryggr's back, standing in front of him, my sword raised. "If they come at us, you cut them with your axe and be done with it!"

"Yes, Mother!"

"For today," I yelled, swiping my blade across a Saxon's chest, "you will call me Gyda!" I kicked the Saxon away, "Because today, we are equals!"