THREE

"What would you have me do, Lady?" Saga and Sihtric walked behind me as I rushed through the back exit of the hall, not wishing to see the new arrivals just yet.

"I need you to spy," I talked over my shoulder to Saga, taking a torch from the wall and using it to find my way down the stairs.

"On who, Lady?" Saga moved around me, opening the door before I could reach it.

"The Gods said there would be three men," I informed her, stepping out into the night. "Haestan and Bloodhair are two, I need to discover the third."

"Perhaps I can help, Lady," Sihtric called out to us, making me pause in my tracks and look at him. His heart raced as adrenaline coursed through him.

"How can you help?" Saga asked for me, her face suspicious.

"I have knowledge of these men, I have fought some of them, and I have known others for years." Sihtric offered, taking a few steps towards me so I could see his face in the light of the torch in my hand.

I studied him. His heart showed no lies, and the Gods did not warn me against him. "Saga, you will leave us. Make for the hall, learn all you can of Bloodhair and Haestan."

"Of course, Lady," Saga bowed, turning swiftly, her footsteps receding silently into the shadows, but her heart beats lingered for a few moments.

I held the torch out to Sihtric, using it as an excuse to get closer to him, "Saga is still close by. I do not want my father to learn that I left my body, so we must be quiet."

Sihtric nodded, taking the torch from me, his arm rings catching the light.

I stood at his side, walking slowly, "The Gods said that the third man will breathe poison and bring death. Is there anyone like that that you know?"

Sihtric frowned, bending his head slightly, "A lot of men kill, and a lot of men lie."

My lips twitched slightly, and I looked away from his face, down the road, "You are the first to tell me that the words of the Gods are not enough."

A flush formed on his cheeks, only just visible in the dark, and his heart stuttered. "I did not mean to offend, Lady—"

"Gyda," I cut him off, "you have earned the right to use my name. You have been good."

A touch of a smile graced his lips, "Gyda."

"And you did not offend," I rushed to move the subject along, growing a little nervous, "you are right. The Gods rarely give enough information; they only say what they want us to know, to keep themselves entertained as we scramble to understand our fates."

"I will still try and help," Sihtric mumbled as we turned the corner, "I will listen and learn."

My heart lurched, and my eyes were drawn to the balcony above the hall, where two figures stood talking. Ragnar and Uhtred.

I swallowed, smoothing out my dress. "The Gods wish me to speak with your Lord. I will go."

"How will I reach you if I learn of anything?" Sihtric asked, turning with me as I walked around him.

My ears buzzed with the sound of heartbeats, and I grimaced, "Find a raven, find Saga, there are ways, or you may enter my room,"

Sihtric bowed his head slightly.

"The third man," I shuddered as the Gods urged me to move, "his path is intertwined with your Lord. He will be someone he has known a while."

"I will find him," Sihtric promised, dropping the torch into a barrel of water as he walked backwards, "you can count on me, Lady."