FORTY-FOUR

"Should you be up so soon?" Saga mused, her brow raising as I shuffled into the sitting room of my quarters.

I collapsed onto one of the many seats there, sighing heavily, "My children are bound to the Gods."

Saga snorted, shaking her head, "Then, I would be up and about too if I were you."

I pressed my hand to the bandaged wound on my side, groaning softly, "I knew it would happen, but I only expected it to be Emil."

Saga pushed away the few pieces of paper she had been reading, "Because of the eyes?"

I had eyes like ice, chilling, and a replica of winter. They had not always been like that, while my mother had lived, they had been grey, but once I was bound to Freyja, they changed.

Emil was born with my eyes, so I always knew he would be bound to the Gods eventually, but Rúna had her father's eyes, green and hazel.

"Yes," I nodded eventually, "I also thought that whatever God he would be bound to, Freyja would be able to reach them, but Rúna with Loki..."

Saga pulled a face, leaning back in her seat, "Loki is one. He listens to no one,"

"I know," I rolled my eyes.

"It is probably why Rúna has always been ahead of her brothers and most adults," Saga finished with a narrow smile.

I groaned again, dragging my hand down my face, "That, I know as well."

I was proud of my children for being bound to the Gods. It was a blessing, even if it was a heavy burden to carry. My children would be strong and protected all their lives; I just wished to always be their first point of protection and advice. 

Saga sighed softly, picking up her papers and standing, "Well, I have nothing of real interest to inform you of, so I think you should rest some more."

I frowned lightly, lowering my hand to my lap, "Nothing of real interest?"

Saga tilted her head, shrugging, "Uhtred has rode out to Aegelesburg—"

"That is news," I interrupted her, sitting up fully as my frown deepened, "why does he ride there? I thought he wished to stay with Lady Stiorra?"

Saga appeared conflicted for a moment before she finally caved, "Finan... told me that Aethelflaed is not in good health. I think Uhtred rides to her."

My attention was caught, and my mind sharped. The ill health of a monarch could bring about big changes and fast. Should Aethelflaed get worse, Edward could make for her kingdom, and uniting Wessex and Mercia was not something I wished to allow.

"Send spies ahead," I ordered calmly, rising from my seat, "let them know not to be seen by anyone, Uhtred included. I want to know what is going on in Mercia every second of the day. If Aethelflaed so much as lifts a finger, I want to know about it."

"Yes, My Queen," Saga bowed her head quickly.

I smoothed out my night dress, straightening my back, "Is there anything else I need to know? Has there been word of Brida?"

Saga shook her head slowly, "She vanished alone. The rest of her men were captured in Gyruum." She paused then, licking her lips, "Uhtred voiced his displeasure over the fact we refused to send men to look for Father Pyrlig."

"Uhtred has men," I quipped, slowly walking around the seats, "let him send his own men to find his friend."

"Of course," Saga agreed, "there is only one other matter after this, and that is the matter of the raider, Rognvaldr."