FIFTY-ONE

I shoved my armour back on with little care, letting Sihtric reach around me and tie any loose threads and secure the clips.

"Will you kill her this time?" Saga quipped, passing my sheathed sword to me.

"Only if Uhtred does not kill her first," I shot back, taking my sword and securing it at my back.

"The grass is long on the hills," Finan stated shortly, "if you stay low, neither one of them will see you until you want to be seen."

I nodded curtly, turning back around and starting to walk to leave through the tent flaps.

"What about Edward?" Sihtric grabbed my hand, making me stop briefly, "What do you wish for us to do with him?"

Edward had until the sunset to come up with a decision, so in the meantime, he was held prisoner in one of the other tents being watched by Henrick.

"If I am not back by sundown," I shrugged, "take his answer whatever it may be and release him."

"With a horse or without?" Saga snorted.

"Without," I sniffed, stepping out of the tent, "let him crawl back to Wessex."

"Be safe," Sihtric mumbled quietly as we walked around the back of the camp, trying not to draw attention to me. No one was supposed to know I was leaving, even for a minute.

"I will be," I looked to the hill, my heart pounding, "we all will be... just as soon as Brida is dead."

Creeping over the hills was easy. There was just enough darkness to cover my tracks and just enough light to guide my path. I followed the steps Uhtred had left, pulling my sword from my sheath as I went.

It was a long road that Uhtred had taken, and the further I went, the more I realised that I was approaching Loidis. I only recognised the place because of Ragnar. He had told me of his father's hall that had once stood there many years ago.

Loud yelling told me I had arrived in the right place after another few moments of running, and I crouched down as low as I could without crawling, creeping towards it.

I could see the old, burnt structure of what was left of Ragnar the Fearless' hall, and in front of it, Uhtred and Brida battled fiercely, spinning circles around each other.

I let them fight, getting down onto one knee so I could watch them from a distance.

Uhtred managed to push Brida to her knees, his sword slamming down on hers harshly, and I thought the battle would be over rather quickly. To my surprise, though, when Brida began to cry, loud sobs leaving her throat, Uhtred stopped swinging his sword, breathing heavily and drawing back from her.

I grit my teeth together, holding my sword tighter in my hand as Uhtred began to walk away from Brida, his face a picture of grief and pain.

"Uhtred!" Brida cried out, "Give me death! Vibeke is waiting for me!" She got up off the ground, running at him again.

Uhtred met her sword swing with his own and I lowered my sword again as they battled once again; I knew Uhtred was more skilled and much stronger but from the way his heart ached, I knew pain held him back from killing her.

My heart began to pound in my chest as I watched Uhtred toss Brida on the ground and abandon his sword, his hands wrapping around her neck, strangling her. He pressed down for no more than a few seconds before his heart jolted painfully, and he let her go, gasping for air.

"You have to kill me, Uhtred," Brida begged, "I won't stop! I won't stop!"

I rose slightly, making sure to make no sound, bring my sword up once again. Uhtred would not be able to do this, and I could not let Brida get away with all she had done.