FIFTY-TWO

(Final Chapter)

"Skol!" Roars sounded up all around Dunholm.

We sat outside in the forest, drinking ale and watching the children dance around the fire.

Finan slurped his ale loudly, finishing it off with a satisfied smack of his lips, "I still cannot believe Edward surrendered Mercia."

"He feared for his life," Saga snorted, leaning on his shoulder, her hand holding onto his arm, "he did not know we would not kill him either way."

"I would have liked to know that plan too," Uhtred snorted, sitting across the fire from me, nursing his ale and his broken heart. "I advised him as though you were about to tear him from cock to throat."

Ingemar cackled from beside him, slamming her hand down on his shoulder, "You did a good job, Lord of Bebbanburg. We could not have this victory without you."

"Hear," I called out softly, raising my jug of ale in toast to Uhtred, offering him a small smile.

We had reconciled in a way. Our hearts both ached and though we understood each other, it would take us a long time before we could accept what had happened between us.

"Do not put yourself down, Ingemar," Henrick chortled, downing his ale, "without you, the bastard Aethelhelm would not have fallen at the border."

Ingemar grinned wolfishly, pride coursing through her, "You should have seen how he squealed and begged for mercy."

"At least some good has come from his death," Olav sighed, wiping his mouth, "the Lady Aelwynn's wedding will spark joy."

Aethelflaed's daughter was to marry a Dane boy she had fallen in love with and per Uhtred's request, I allowed for the wedding to be held in Bebbanburg and for the couple to remain there. The Lady Aelswith had also decided to stay in Northumbria to my surprise, choosing to reside in Bebbanburg as well. She had offered services to me, suggesting she give sermons and lead churches across Northumbria to be useful.

I had no grudge with them.

"The Lady Aethelflaed would be pleased to see her daughter happy," Beocca murmured from beside me, "even if she is not the Lady of Mercia."

"Let us not speak of politics now," Thyra smiled up at him from the ground she sat on playing with the wolf pups. Arya sat beside her as well, greyed from age but still looking around attentively as Derya nudged Gisli around.

"I do not speak of politics, My Dear," Beocca reached out to hold her hand, "I speak of the future." Beocca turned to me then, smiling widely, "You have united two kingdoms. Whether Edward likes it or not, you are fulfilling Alfred's dream."

"Was Alfred's dream not to unite all the kingdoms?" Henrick winked over at us, "Are you suggesting we storm Wessex, priest?"

"God, no," Beocca groaned, "I was just saying..."

I tuned out their miniature argument, turning to look at Aethelstan who sat on Uhtred's other side. He looked the most out of place amongst us and I could hear how nervous he was.

"Emil," I mumbled, leaning to the side to tap my son's shoulder, "go talk to him."

Emil turned where I was looking and his nose wrinkled in displeasure," No, he is a turd."

I rolled my eyes, pushing the back of his head slightly, "He is a good boy and he is afraid here with no friends. Go and make friends with him." I glanced over at Leif who was balancing a grape on his nose. "And take Leif, he looks far too pleased with himself eating all the fruit."