THIRTY-SIX

"Storming it from the front is not an option," Saga snapped, glaring at Ingemar, her nail pressed into the map that was draped out over the round table in the hall.

"And why not?" Ingemar's eyes flashed, "You are making this more difficult than it has to be!"

"She knows what she speaks of," Uhtred jumped in, his voice cool, "she has seen Bebbanburg, she knows the walls the way I do. We know what we speak of."

"We have the men to storm the walls," Ingemar argued again, her hands slamming down on the table.

"We will have no men if we storm the front wall!" Saga threw her hands up, turning in a circle before pressing her hands to the table again, "We are not going to the front wall."

Ingemar burst up again, and the three returned to arguing vehemently.

I rubbed my temple slowly, my elbow resting on the arm of my Jarl's seat and some of my hair loosening from my braids to cover my face.

They had been arguing for two days and eleven hours, and still, they were no closer to agreeing with each other.

Saga and Uhtred pushed the plan they had devised in Coccham, and Ingemar pushed for a direct onslaught.

"Enjoying Jarldom?" Finan joked quietly from my right, leaning on my chair.

I hummed sarcastically, "It's thrilling."

He and Sihtric snorted softly before Finan tapped the top of my chair, "What if you throw in your own opinions? They can't say no to you."

"She has enough to do without needing to devise battle tactics," Sihtric said quietly, his hand reaching out to rest on my shoulder.

I had recovered the forest camp and sent a hundred and fifty people there on my first day as Jarl. In the second and third days, we dealt with the dead bodies and the pyres. By the forth, letters had been sent out to the rest of Northumbria, announcing I had taken Jarldom. It was now the first of the week again, and I had a list of things to do that I could not even begin to grasp.

"Aye," Finan nodded easily, "but I fear Saga will pounce over the table any second now."

He was right; Saga looked very close to striking Ingemar, as did Uhtred.

"Fine," I sighed heavily, pushing myself up out of my chair and taking the few steps down to the table.

"Jarl," Saga nodded curtly, moving back to Uhtred's side, both of them on the left while Ingemar stayed on the right.

"Jarl," Ingemar sighed, gesturing to the map, "we could send a group of ten to the gate with a battering ram. They will be able to force it open and give way for the rest of us to attack without losing time."

I had never seen Bebbanburg so I did not know if her plan was doable but from the look on Uhtred's face, I was led to believe that Ingemar had said the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard.

I turned to Saga, "What is your plan?"

Saga straightened, speaking quickly, "We send envoys to Bebbanburg, skalds and priests, fifteen or so. We have them tell Aelfric that you are extending your alliances and wish to join him. In the night, the envoys will kill the guards and open the gate."

Her plan sounded more plausible, and although it would take longer, I was aware that the cover of night and the element of surprise would give us a good advantage on Aelfric's men.

"That is all well and good," Ingemar huffed, "but where will you keep the soldiers who have to kill the men? Up your arse?"

Saga grit her teeth together, glaring.