Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Dalton had been in the middle of explaining the strategy for Saxton’s transition onto the team when the knock had come at the door. Dalton grinned.

“That’s probably Sailor Clayton, my head of public relations, media, and marketing. She’s pretty much our fixer around here. You screw up, and that girl works her magic.”

Saxton nodded.

“Come in,” his old friend called.

The door opened, and Saxton schooled his features. The most beautiful woman he’d ever seen stood in the doorway. As he took in every inch of her, he could tell she was petite though she wore high heels to try to counteract it. Her black dress hugged her frame, highlighting her generous curves. Her dark hair was a stark contrast to her flawless pale skin. She reminded him a little of Snow White with her button nose and red lips.

When he got to her light-blue eyes, a memory from his distant past tugged at his mind. Those eyes? It couldn’t be, could it? A grin spread across his face right as the woman in front of him dropped everything she held and yelled, “Son of a bitch.”

Dalton sat back, stunned, as Saxton jumped from his chair and rounded the table to help her. She was already bending to pick up her now-empty coffee cup when he reached her. She was still cursing under her breath but immediately stopped and went completely silent as he reached out a hand and placed it under her elbow to steady her. She looked up, and their eyes met again. Déjà Vu struck him once more.

“I know this will sound like a line, but do we know each other?”

The woman flinched away from him and stood. Saxton stood, too, as she stared at him without saying a word. Her stare. Those eyes.

She wobbled on her heels a little as she tried to step back, and Saxton grabbed her, pulling her close to steady her. As he rested his hand on the small of her back, she looked up and peered into his eyes. Something clicked in his brain.

A wide smile spread across his face. “Mystery girl?”

Her eyes grew wide, and he knew he was right.

“It took me ten years, but I finally found you. I thought I’d never see you again.” Before he could say anything else, she turned and bolted down the hallway.

Saxton peered around the door frame and watched her hurried steps as she walked away. He couldn’t help but note the view from the back was almost as good as from the front. A large hand settled on his shoulder, and he turned to Dalton, who glared at him.

“Please tell me you haven’t slept with Sailor? In the six years she’s worked for me, I’ve never seen her act that way.”

Saxton shook his head.

“No, man, nothing like that.”

Not yet, at least.

For ten years, those blue eyes had haunted him. When their eyes had met on that day so long ago, Saxton had felt as if she’d peered right into his soul. It was the only time he’d felt as if someone had really seen him. Not just the football star or a free ride to fame. There had been a spark, and he certainly hadn’t had that connection with anyone since. He’d looked for her every day that final week of high school. None of his friends had known who she was or even her name. He hadn’t even seen her at graduation. So, with time, she had become the great mystery in the back of his mind, his proverbial unicorn. Now, here she was. The awkwardly adorable girl who’d fascinated him with one brief encounter had turned into a stunningly beautiful and equally fascinating woman. And she worked for his new team. Fate was a clever bitch. A sly grin crept across his face as Dalton shook his shoulder, drawing him from his thoughts.

“Don’t even think about it, Casanova. That one’s off limits.” Saxton turned to Dalton. 

“Then I quit.”