Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

The pizza arrived just as Saxton heard Sailor coming from his bedroom. With boxes in hand, he turned to see the cutest sight. He was right. His clothes had swallowed her up. He’d been sure to give her his softest and rattiest shirt—his favorite—and he’d never seen it look better.

The legs of the sweatpants pooled around her ankles, and the cutest little polished toes poked out from beneath the bunched-up material. She was towel-drying her long, dark hair. He hadn’t realized it hung to the small of her back.

“What are you staring at?” Her voice didn’t sound irritated, just kind of matter of

fact.

“You’re kind of adorable, like a tiny munchkin in my clothes. I didn’t realize how long your hair was.”

Sailor smiled and walked up to him, inhaling the smell of the pizza. Her stomach growled loudly, and he laughed as a blush tinged her cheeks.

“Shut up, I haven’t eaten all day.”

“It’s cute. My little munchkin is hungry and must be fed before she turns into a gremlin.”

She smacked him with the towel, laughing. “I said shut up. Now, where are we eating?”

Saxton motioned to the couch. “Get comfy and start without me. I’m just going to take a quick shower, then I’ll be back.”

Sailor grabbed the pizza boxes from him and headed to the couch. She gave a little wave as she opened the first box. He headed to his closet, grabbing a pair of sweatpants for himself then heading to the bathroom for the quickest shower of his life.

Soon, he was walking into the living room, toweling his hair and wearing only the sweatpants. He’d promised to be on his best behavior, and he’d keep that promise. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t give Sailor a little torment in the process.

She was curled up on his couch flipping through channels when she turned to look at him. He tried to school his face and hide his satisfied grin as her mouth dropped open. He walked to the fridge and felt her eyes following him. After grabbing two waters, he sat next to Sailor, handed her a water and opened a pizza box to take a slice. He reclined back, he raised an eyebrow at her and grinned.

“What?”

She smacked his legs with a pillow and rolled her eyes. “You know what? I know you own more than one shirt.”

“True, but I didn’t feel like putting one on, and you obviously don’t seem to mind.”

Sailor smacked him again. “Whatever, Casanova. We’re still just watching TV.” “Contrary to what the media has said, I am a gentleman. So, TV it is. Did you

find anything good?”

She sighed. “Not a damn thing. The news is all you, sports is all you, and besides, I really just want to watch something that requires no concentration or thinking at all.”

Saxton nodded in agreement. “I’m totally down for that.”

She handed him the remote, and he flipped through the channels until he found a hilarious movie from his youth. Sailor let out a little squeal.

“Oh, I love this movie.”

He couldn’t help but smile. “Yeah, me, too.”

After eating a few pieces of pizza, he patted his flat belly. “I’m stuffed.”

She looked to his toned stomach and laughed. “Yeah, I can totally tell.” In response, he pulled her closer, nestling her up under his arm and pulling her feet and legs into his lap. She tensed momentarily then relaxed and tentatively laid her head against his chest. He placed his chin on her head, absently stroking her soft, curly locks.

They watched the movie, laughing at the funny parts until Saxton noticed Sailor’s breathing had grown steady. He leaned back and looked at the tiny, sleeping angel in his arms. His chest felt tight as if an invisible hand had reached into it and squeezed.

Turning off the TV then rising from the couch with her in his arms, he made his way to the bedroom. Gently, he placed her in the bed. He stared down at her beautiful face and smiled, realizing that the vision of her in his bed was the most right sight he’d ever seen.

Sliding into bed next to her, he wrapped his arms around her, and she scooted back into him. Nestling his nose into the crook of her neck, he inhaled her scent and closed his eyes.

Everything up to that point had felt like a game, but something had shifted in him. He wanted Sailor. Not just physically but in every way he could have her. He’d never been in love, but in that moment, he felt as if he were falling for her. He went to sleep thinking what would it take to convince her to feel the same about him.