Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

The large, flat-screen TV on one wall of Dalton’s office blared loudly. Dalton sat behind his large mahogany desk while Sailor and Saxton took up residence in two of the leather chairs in the office. In silence, the three of them watched the press conference being broadcast live from Tampa. JB Tucker fielded questions from the media about his new position with the Gator’s organization.

“Son of a bitch.” Dalton’s voice boomed over the TV. Sailor turned to look at him and saw him pointing at the screen.

“Look in the corner of the screen, off to JB’s right.” Sailor turned back, searching for what had set him off. When she saw the sneaky little bastard standing next to JB’s slimy agent, she let out her own curse.

“What? What am I missing?” Saxton asked, sounding perplexed. From the corner of her eye, Sailor saw Dalton still pointing.

“You see that little bastard standing next to the smarmy-looking prick? That’s my former assistant, Mason. That lyin’ little bastard. I bet he helped negotiate JB’s deal with Tampa in exchange for a job.”

Sailor glanced at Saxton, who shook his head, then she turned to Dalton.

“You know what? None of this matters. We can’t change what’s happened. We just need to get in front of it. The best offense is a good defense, right? We’ll release a statement right away about how fortunate we are to welcome Sax to the organization. We’ll go on with our original plan, except I’ll move up the timeline a little. Give me an hour, and I will have every media outlet available at our own press conference.” She jumped to her feet and looked down at Saxton.

“You ready to be thrown to the wolves?”

He grinned up at her. “Oh, sugar, I survived a car ride with you, so I’m pretty sure I can conquer anything at this point.”

Sailor narrowed her eyes as Dalton let out a hearty laugh. She turned to him, glad to see he was at least smiling.

“Is that what y’all were fighting about outside?” Dalton asked between laughs.

“Not exactly, man. After she damn near killed me twice in five minutes, I thought I’d do everyone a favor and confiscate her key fab.”

Saxton was still grinning, and normally, Sailor would have responded with a snarky remark, but with everything going on, she let it slide because Dalton was still laughing.

“You’re a brave man. I’ve seen how she drives, and I swore I’d eat a cockroach before I let her drive me anywhere.”

Sailor pulled two pencils from a holder on Dalton’s desk and threw one at each of them.

“You’re both evil. Saxton you will give back my key. But first, I’m going to do what I do best. You pretty boys have got an hour. Brush your hair, boss, and get Saxton an Arrowheads’ hat and T-shirt. We wanna show the crowd how good he looks in our colors.”

With that, she turned and walked from the room. As she was about to shut the door, Saxton’s voice caught her attention. “Man, I really like it when her tiny ass gets all bossy.”

She pushed open the door and yelled into the office.

“One hour. And Saxton fucking Crawford, you’re really pushing your luck with

me.”

Then she slammed the door and hurried toward her own office. She had an impromptu press conference to arrange.