Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Sailor adjusted the brim of Saxton’s hat and checked his shirt for tags. They stood behind the curtain of the team’s media room. He heard the roomful of reporters on the other side. Being a private person, he hated doing anything media related and dealing with this aspect of his career.

Finishing her inspection, Sailor gave him a thumbs up and he laughed. “So, you approve, Ms. Clayton?”

She smiled up at him.

 “Yeah, I approve. Now, go get ‘em.” 

Damn, she was gorgeous.

She tried to back away, but he reached out and caught her around the waist, pulling her close. This time, she didn’t tense but placed her small hands on his chest and pushed back at him. He gazed into her eyes and tried to convey his growing feelings.

“I’m glad you approve, because right now, yours is the only opinion I care about.” He leaned in to kiss her, but Dalton cleared his throat, announcing his arrival. Saxton groaned and released Sailor. She was flushed, and he loved how the pink of her cheeks made her light-blue eyes shine brighter.

“If I am not interrupting, I’d like to get this over and done with,” Dalton clipped

out.

Sax noticed the pretty strawberry blonde from the day before standing behind him. She handed Dalton a piece of paper then approached Saxton and handed him one as well. Giving Sailor a sly smile, she handed her a piece, too.

“Thank you, Jill. You’re the best.” Sailor winked at the woman, who giggled for a second then took a serious tone.

“Okay, that’s a typed list of the talking points Sailor put together. The reporters have been warned to stay away from certain topics, but we all know someone will go there. Try to stay on script.” She glanced to Dalton. “If anyone asks a question about JB or his quick departure, you say we wish him well and appreciate his time with the team then steer the conversation back to Saxton.” Jill turned to Saxton. “If they bring up your

personal life or anything you’re not comfortable talking about, you steer the conversation to the team. Talk about how happy you are to be back in your hometown and playing with such a great bunch of guys. Got it?”

He nodded as he scanned the paper then looked over at Dalton. “You ready to do this?”

“Sax, brother, I was born ready.”

With that, the two stepped past the curtain and headed toward their places at the table. The coaches and staff were already seated. Saxton made it a point to greet each of them and shake their hands as camera flashes damn near blinded him.

Dalton was already sitting by the time Saxton finished. Sax hurried back to his chair. He shot Dalton a grin as his friend turned and pointed at the first reporter.

The man stood and introduced himself before asking, “Mr. Green, is there any truth to the rumors you and JB Tucker had a major falling out that prompted this change in the roster?”

Dalton plastered on a charming smile and leaned into the microphone in front of him. “No, there’s no truth to those rumors. JB has been and is still a good friend to the Arrowheads. We’re a family here and wish him only the best in his new endeavors.

Next question.”

Dalton pointed to a blonde woman down front. She stood and gave her credentials. “This question is for Mr. Crawford. Mr. Crawford, you have quite the reputation off the field. In the past few years, the Arrowheads have turned around their once tarnished image. Should we expect you to be on your best behavior now that you’re a member of such a well-respected organization?”

Saxton leaned forward, giving the reporter his sweetest smile. “Ma’am, I can only be who I am. It has always been my dream to play for the Arrowheads. So, I can say with complete sincerity I’ll make every effort to be the best I can be on and off the field. I have no intention of jeopardizing any of the incredible opportunities I’ve been given. It’s my greatest honor to wear these colors and play alongside such a remarkable group of athletes. I’m just here to do the best job I can do.”

The reporter smiled and sat down as Dalton leaned over to him. Through a smile he said, “Now, that’s the Saxton I know and love.”

Saxton smiled at the crowd as Dalton called, “Next Question?”