Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Sailor pulled into the stadium parking lot as Saxton gripped the seat and sent a prayer of thanks to the heavens that he had survived the drive. Sailor’s driving scared the hell of him, and that was saying a lot since he was a bit of a daredevil. After she pulled the car into the spot labeled with her name and placed the shifter into park, he reached over, pushed in the key fob attached to a ring of keys and pulled it from its spot next to the steering wheel. He saw the protest coming to her lips but held up a hand to stop her.

“I’m driving home. I take on big-ass football players for a living. I drive a motorcycle, have been swimming with sharks and have jumped out of a plane. But none of that has ever scared me half as bad as the five-minute car ride with you. I damn near shit my shorts twice. For everyone’s safety, I am confiscating this.” He held up her keys and jingled the ring before placing them in his shorts’ pocket farthest from Sailor.

“That’s not right, Saxton. This is my car. You can’t just take the key to my car.”

He opened his door and got out. She immediately did the same, determination on her face as she shoved her palm at him, giving a gimme motion.

“Give me my keys.”

He leaned in close and said, “Not for all the money in the world, woman.

Consider it my contribution to the public safety of this fine city.”

She huffed and stomped her foot like a kid. He thought it was the cutest thing he’d ever seen.

“Saxton Crawford, I’m not playing with you. Give me my God damn keys.”

He turned and left her standing there with her hand out. A loud screech came from behind him, and he snickered, but the amusement died when a small figure barreled into him from behind then proceeded to climb his back like a spider monkey. She wrapped her legs around his torso and pulled on his ear just like his mama use to when he was a kid in trouble. Her breaths tickled his ear, and he fought back a growing chuckle.

“I am not playing with you. Give me my keys.”

Saxton couldn’t stop his delight at her and turned in circles, trying to dislodge

Sailor.

“Clearly, this needs further discussion,” he said through his laughter. “What the ever-loving fuck is going on here?”

They froze at Dalton’s booming voice. Saxton turned toward his friend and gave a what can you do shrug.

Dalton walked toward them and pointed a finger at Saxton.

“You, you…damn it! One God damn day, Saxton. One day on the fucking team and you’ve clearly driven my best employee insane.”

Sailor slid from Saxton’s back and stood beside him, blushing. Dalton just continued yelling.

“Sailor, I expect better from you. You know better.” He hooked a thumb toward Saxton. “This one doesn’t, so I need you to be the rational one. Both y’all get your asses inside. I’m surprised the damn media isn’t swarming this place.”

Saxton and Sailor silently followed Dalton into the building. Once all three were inside, Dalton turned to both of them. He looked Sailor up and down then turned to Saxton and did the same.

“Why are you two dressed for the gym?” Before they could answer, Dalton raised a hand, closed his eyes, and pinched the bridge of his nose as he shook his bowed head. Looking up at them, he had an expression that clearly conveyed he was at his wits end. “You know what? I don’t give a damn at this point. We have bigger problems.

Someone leaked this to the press, and only a handful of people knew about it. Sailor did JB assure you they’d wait or was it that snake in the grass agent of his?”

Sailor visibly gulped. “It was his agent, but I threatened to string him up by his balls if he went back on his word.”

Dalton’s expression was devoid of emotion as he looked at her. “Well, I hope you have some string. We’re gonna need it.”

Saxton tried to cover his laugh with a cough as Sailor cursed under her breath. “There is a non-disclosure agreement.” Sailor was in business mode now. He

raised his hand like a kid in class with a question, and they both turned his way.

“It might have been JB’s agent who told about his new contract, but that doesn’t explain how the media got wind of mine.”

Dalton ran one of his big hands through his already disheveled dark hair. “Good point. That means you were spotted, or someone here leaked it.” “Has anyone here been acting sketchy?” Sailor asked.

Dalton looked thoughtful then rubbed a hand over his face and sighed.

“Mason. I haven’t been able to get a hold of the little prick since after my dinner with Sax and the lawyers on Friday.”

Sailor nodded, then Dalton motioned for them to follow him. “Come on. Let’s go to my office and figure this out.”