Chapter 5

Chapter Five

The late afternoon sun shone through the blinds of Sailor’s office as she hung up with her final phone call. She felt exhausted and just wanted to go home and crawl into bed. Her headache had never quite let up, and it felt as if a jackhammer pounded between her ears.

Rising from her chair, she put on her jacket and grabbed her purse. As she headed out, she passed by Jill’s office and waved. “Have a good weekend, hon.”

Jill looked up and waved back. “You, too, sweetie. See you Monday. I hope you get to feeling better.”

Sailor loved her assistant. “Thanks, you’re the best.”

Lost in thought, examining her phone, she headed into the lobby. She didn’t notice anything around her until she bumped into a very hard chest. Stumbling back a little, she almost dropped her phone and purse.

“Excuse me. I’m so sorry,” she muttered before looking up. When she did, she was met with a stunning set of turquoise-colored eyes and handsome grin. Her damn stomach did that flip-flop thing. Traitorous piece of her anatomy.

“Saxton,” she acknowledged as she moved past him.

He followed her, and as she reached the door, he opened it for her then motioned for her to go first. With a soft chuckle, he said, “We gotta stop meeting like this Sailor.”

She rolled her eyes in response and headed toward her car. He walked silently beside her, and she felt the old, familiar awkwardness growing inside her. When she got to her car, she finally stopped and turned to him.

“What? What is it, Saxton? Do you want something?”

With a wicked grin, he raised the helmet she hadn’t noticed him holding and motioned toward the motorcycle as he placed a large duffle bearing the Arrowheads’ emblem on the back. Her face grew hot as he got on the bike. Before he put on the helmet, he winked at her.

“Have a good weekend, Sailor.”

Within seconds, he was revving the engine of the motorcycle and speeding out of the parking lot. Still feeling completely mortified, she got in her car and headed home.

When she pulled into her parking spot in the garage, she noticed the motorcycle parked in the spot next to hers that was usually empty. She gripped the steering wheel and banged her head on it a few times “This is not happening. Please God, just let it be a different motorcycle.”

There was a knock at her window, and Sailor turned. Al stood there. She sighed.

He looked at her in concern as she stepped from the car. “You okay, Ms. Sailor?”

She patted the sweet man on the shoulder after she shut her door. “Yeah, Al, I’m okay. Just been a long day.”

He nodded still looking concerned. “Okay. If you need anything before I go for the evening, just let me know.”

She looped her arm through his and started walking toward the building with him. “Thanks. You’re the best. How was your day?”

He chuckled. “My day was obviously better than yours. And, anything for you.

You’re always so kind.”

They were almost to the doors of the building now, and she unhooked her arm from his. She placed a finger to her lips and winked at him.

“Shh, tell no one. I’ve got a rep to protect.”

Al laughed loudly and opened the door for her.

“I promise, Ms. Sailor. Your secret is safe with me.”

She was about to respond to Al when Saxton’s voice stopped her mid-stride. “And what secret is that Sailor?” At the sound of his delicious southern drawl, a slew of curse words flitted through Sailor’s mind. Her traitorous body immediately responded to the charming bastard’s deep timbre. She tried to school her features and hide the confusing mix of frustration and school-girl elation warring inside her. No, she thought, no elation. He’s trouble with a capital T.

Al gave Saxton a big smile. “Mr. Crawford. Can I help you with something?”

Sailor watched Saxton turn his attention to the guard. He smiled broadly at Al.

“Al…call me Sax. I was just going to ask about my mailbox keys. I forgot to get them last night.”

Sailor hung her head and pinched the bridge of her nose. Until that moment, she had been holding onto to the deluded notion that fate would not be so cruel. “This is not fucking happening.”

She felt Saxton walk up beside her. His breath tickled her ear as he leaned down. “Oh, if you live in this building, it’s happening. I just moved in.”

Without a word, she walked away and headed for the elevator. She pushed the UP button and waited, silently willing the elevator to hurry up. She heard Saxton chatting with Al behind her and tried to drown them out as she reached out and furiously pushed at the button again.

Finally, the doors opened, and she stepped inside and turned to push the button for her floor. When she looked up, Saxton was sprinting toward the doors as they closed. She gave him a wicked grin, thinking he wouldn’t make it. Then a muscled tanned arm snaked through the gap and parted the doors.

Sailor swore under her breath as he entered the elevator. He turned to press the button for his floor but pulled his hand back.

“Well, I’ll be damned. Looks like we are on the same floor.”

Sailor didn’t say anything. She just let out a frustrated sigh. Thankfully, he didn’t try to make any more conversation.

When they reached their floor, he held his arm in front of one of the doors and motioned for her to go first. Sailor stomped from the elevator, pulling her keys from her purse as she did. When she heard Saxton laugh, she turned and glared at him. He was standing at his door.

“Night, neighbor. Hope you have sweet dreams.” Then he entered his loft and shut the door. Sailor furiously unlocked her door. Inside, she slammed it behind her and both her roommates turned to look at her. She promptly stomped over the couch, dropped her purse and keys to the floor and picked up the nearest pillow. She pressed it to her face and screamed into it with everything she had.

Her roommates rushed to her side.

“Oh, Sailor, honey, what’s wrong?” Gypsy asked while Harley growled, “Who do I need to kill?”

Dropping the pillow, Sailor pulled her friends into a hug and buried her head in Harley’s light-blonde locks.

Tears of frustration burned Sailor’s eyes as she hiccupped out. “Saxton fucking Crawford.”

Her roommates pulled back and exchanged a look. They’d been friends since freshman year of college and knew all about her unrequited crush on Saxton and the horrible torture that bitch Andrea put her through.

Gypsy pulled her to the couch and sat her down. Her friends flanked her, each wrapping an arm around her. It was Gypsy who asked in a low tone, “What about Saxton fucking Crawford? I thought he was he who should not be named?”

Sailor hiccupped again. She hated how she got the hiccups whenever she was mad or frustrated. Hot tears slipped from the corner of her eyes.

“He…” Hiccup. “He is…” Hiccup. “The…” Hiccup. “New…” Hiccup. “QB.” Her friends both gasped.

Gypsy rubbed Sailor’s back again as she spoke. “Oh, honey, it’s okay. You aren’t that girl anymore. You are a strong woman, and he is just a man. It’s going to be okay. You got this.”

Sailor hiccupped again as Harley swore. “I’m gonna kill him.”

Gypsy scoffed. “Would you stop it, Harley? We know you aren’t killing anyone. You never have and never will. Under that tough exterior is a big ol’ mushy hot mess.”

Sailor let out an unexpected laugh and hugged her friends closer. She hiccupped one last time before she spoke. “It gets worse.”

Both her friends leaned back and looked at her with raised eyebrows. “He’s our new neighbor.”

Harley let out a loud, long, “Fuuuuuccckkkk…”