Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

It was finally Friday, and Sailor busied herself in her office, just waiting for the end of her day. She’d thrown herself into work, trying to keep her mind off Andrea.

One up side to her determination was the benefit was coming together nicely.

Everything was set, and the media response had been good. Saxton’s reputation looked better with each interview he gave about the upcoming benefit, his devotion to the wonderful cause evident.

She had wondered why he’d chosen pediatric cancer then saw an interview where he’d spoken about his little brother. She hadn’t known his younger brother had suffered from leukemia as a child. Hell, she hadn’t even known he had a brother. There was so much she didn’t know about Saxton, but with every new thing she learned about him and each moment of kindness she witnessed, she felt the wall around her heart breaking down. It scared her.

Sailor groaned and refocused on the last few things she needed to take care of before heading home. She groaned again when she thought about her newly acquired escorts. They should make girl’s night interesting.

Dalton had put a twenty-four-hour security detail on her, and it had brought her some modicum of relief, but she still felt weird about it. Gypsy and Harley had been great, but they were treating her with kid gloves. She just wanted to feel normal again. Andrea had stolen so much from her, and Sailor felt as if she was once again waiting for that snake to strike.

Saxton had been scarce, too. He checked on her sporadically, but he was giving her the distance she needed to process everything. A knock sounded on her door, then Harley peeked in, grinning at her.

“You ready for this, girl? I think we all need tequila and dancing.” 

Closing the event folder, Sailor gave Harley a wide smile.

 “Oh, hell yes.”

Grabbing her coat and purse she headed out the door with Harley. Shortly thereafter she felt the presence of two large men behind them.

“Don’t look now, but Frick and Frack are on the move.” Harley’s voice sounded playful, and Sailor laughed.

“What’s the plan, Harls?”

“Same old, same old. Go home, change, grab Gypsy then hit Sixth Street. Get bowl huggin’ drunk and dance until we can’t stand.”

Sailor hooked one of her arms through Harley’s. “Sounds like just what the doctor ordered.”

“Are you sure Dalton and the quarterback are okay with this?”

Sailor rolled her eyes. “Harley, they’ll just have to be. That witch has taken enough from me. I won’t let her take any more by forcing me to live like a hermit.”

“So, basically, they have no clue we’re going out?” Harley sounded mischievous. Sailor whispered conspiratorially, “Not a clue.”

* * * *

Sailor surveyed her reflection in the full-length mirror in her closet.

She’d paired dark skinny jeans with black knee-high stiletto boots and a warm black sweater that hung off one shoulder. She’d opted to leave her long hair down, and it cascaded in dark waves, the tips grazing the small of her back. To finish the look, she’d thrown on her favorite red-tinted gloss.

She smiled at her reflection.

“This will do,” she said to the empty room. Grabbing a small clutch, she headed out to meet her friends.

They stood by the door, chatting and waiting on her. Gypsy had her gorgeous, long legs on full display with the slit that ran up each side of her bohemian-style halter dress. A crocheted wrap hung haphazardly over her bare shoulders.

Harley looked fierce in motorcycle boots, black leather pants, and tight T-shirt from one of her favorite bands. They turned and grinned at Sailor.

“Let’s do this!” She could barely contain the excitement in her voice.

As they walked through the door, Harley pumped a fist. “Sixth Street here we come.”

Then they all froze as Saxton turned from where he’d been unlocking his door.

“Excuse me?” He looked over at them then narrowed his eyes at Sailor. “I know you aren’t going out.”

She raised her chin defiantly.

“I sure am, and I don’t want to hear a word about it.” They walked past him while he protested. She raised a hand to him.

“Not a word.”

Then she stepped into the elevator and turned to face the doors. Saxton stared after them, his jaw clenched.

She locked eyes with him and mouthed, “I’ll be fine.”

His response was two turquoise pools burning with anger.