Chapter 4

Chapter Four

“Are you fucking kidding me with this, man?” Saxton felt the anger beginning a slow burn.

Dalton just smirked. “Wanna continue our earlier discussion now?” Saxton narrowed his eyes at his friend. “I still stand by my decision.” Dalton threw up his hands and laughed.

“You know what, Sax? I give. And here’s why: because that isn’t going to happen. So, you try all you want, but it ain’t happening. Should be interesting to watch you try. But I’ll tell you now, if you cross a line of any kind, whether it’s harassment or breaking her heart, I’ll be first in line to beat your ass before I fire you. Do we understand each other?”

Saxton nodded and eyed his old friend suspiciously. “Is there something I need to know about you two.?”

Dalton scoffed at him.

“No, man. Clay’s like a little sister to me. Yes, I see how beautiful, strong, and smart she is, but it’s never been like that. You know I never mix business and pleasure. It’s not good business. I never would have hired her if I were attracted to her like that. I respect Sailor. She has done a lot to turn around the perception of this team. You and I both know, when I took over for my dad, this team’s reputation was in the shitter.

Sailor’s been the one to help change that. I won’t let anyone, not even you, ruin the image she’s helped build.”

Saxton let Dalton’s word sink in, the earlier anger ebbing away. “Okay, I get it. I promise I won’t cross any lines. When the time comes, I’ll either bow out like a gentleman or end up marrying that infuriating woman.”

Both men stood, and Dalton clapped Saxton on the back with a laugh. “I’m holding you to that. I need to head to my office and take care of a few things. If you can hang out here for a few, I’ll give you a tour when I’m done.”

Saxton walked with Dalton to the door.

“Sure, man. Where’s the gym? If you got some shorts, I can get in a workout and shower before the tour. Then maybe, we can have lunch.”

Dalton nodded. “Sure thing. I’ll send my assistant back with some gear. I’m thinking a hat, sweats, T-shirts, towels, gym bag, and shorts?”

Saxton laughed. “Oh, I’m getting the special treatment now.”

Dalton laughed. “Always. Only the best for my new star quarterback. Follow me, I’ll drop you at the gym and get that gear over to you ASAP.”

Dalton left Saxton at the state-of-the-art gym. Saxton looked over all the machines as he waited. After about fifteen minutes, a willowy, strawberry blonde approached him, carrying a large bundle of stuff. He hurried over to her and took all the gear from her arms then set the bundle on the ground beside him.

She gave him a grateful smile. “Thank you. I thought for sure I was going to drop all of that.” She giggled. “I’ll have to retrace my steps and make sure I didn’t lose anything along the way.”

Saxton gave her a smile. “Thank you, I’m Saxton. Nice to meet you…” He gestured as if to say and your name is.

The strawberry blonde’s curls bounced as she laughed again and stuck out her hand. “Hi, I’m Jillian Bryant, but everyone calls me Jill.”

Saxton shook her hand. “Bryant? Any relation to Jefferson Bryant, five-time Super Bowl ring holder?”

Jill blushed and dropped his hand. “Yes, that would be my daddy.” Saxton’s eyes grew wide. “Oh, wow, your dad is one of my idols.”

Jill looked down and studied the toes of her shoes. “Yeah, I get that a lot.”

“So, you are Dalton’s assistant?” Saxton asked, changing the subject since she seemed uncomfortable.

Jill looked up then raising a hand in protest. “Oh, no, no, no. I’m Sailor’s assistant. I just offered to help Dalton since his assistant, Mason, was MIA.”

Saxton grinned at her. “Sailor’s assistant? Well, well, little lady. I think you and I are going to be fast friends.”

Jill returned his grin but narrowed her eyes slightly.

“Is that right, Mr. Crawford? And why is that?”

Saxton chuckled. “Let’s just say I have a special interest in your boss.”

Jill crossed her arms over her chest and gave him a pointed look. “I’ve seen the news and grew up in this business. I know that look and exactly what special interest means. It rarely ends well.”

Saxton adopted his most charming smile and tone as he approached Jill and slung an arm over her shoulders. “Call me, Sax…Jill. All my friends do. I just want to get to know Sailor. We’re old friends.”

Jill politely extricated herself from under his arm and turned to leave. As she walked away, her voice drifted back to him. “Have a nice day, Mr. Crawford. If you want to get to know, Sailor, you’ll have to talk directly to her. I’m not getting in the middle of whatever you’re planning.”

Saxton laughed. “Duly noted, Jill,” he hollered after her. “Thank you for the warm welcome. You have a nice day, too.”