Halo Energy

~ Damien ~

I stood beside Dugan who was laid upon the same medical bed from earlier, my gaze pinned upon Dr. Harris' graphical illustrations on the white screen.

"So, you're saying he's allergic to the vaccine?"

Adjusting his glasses, he sighed;

"I wouldn't say 'allergic', but it's similar to what I just explained"

My face wrinkled into a deep frown while I rubbed my forehead, thoughts buzzing around in my mind. However, I was yanked back to reality upon hearing Dugan's voice:

"Dude...what's happening to me?", he asked.

A deep sigh escaped my mouth as I averted my gaze to his pale face, unsure of what to tell him.

"Y-you're...", I stuttered.

"Your body is reacting with the vaccine in such a way I've never seen before... perhaps it's because of the alien plant I used in the vaccine creation process", explained Dr. Harris. 

I could see nothing but fear dangling in his dull silver eyes as he spoke;

"Fuck...I'm allergic to the vaccine?"

"It's similar to that... you're--"

Dr. Harris soon became interrupted when a loud scream reverberated throughout the medical room, causing us to get plunged backwards by an unseen force.

With his eyes assuming the glazing red hue once again, he cried:
"Make it stop!"

I gasped when I noticed how the sides of his neck flashed with the same brilliant red hue, as though he gulped a bowl of molten metal. Looming within my heart was nothing but the fear, beads of sweat forming upon my face.

"Make what stop?", I asked.

"I can hear everything all at once...your heartbeat, blood flowing through your veins, every damn thing"

With tears flushing from his eyes, he whimpered, "It's...it's painful"

I sprinted towards him, placing a hand upon his shoulder with my sight fixed upon his red eyes.

"Look man, it'll be okay...just take a few deep breaths with me"

"Three, two, one..."

With our gazes interlocked, we both took synchronized deep breaths until the red glow in his eyes was engulfed by their normal silver hue.

"There we go...you'll be fine", I whispered as he took his last deep breath.

"I'm gonna get Ayla...meanwhile, you should get some rest"

As I allowed my gaze swivel backwards, I found Dr. Harris piercing at us with nothing but shock lingering behind those his lenses.

"If this is one of the vaccine's side effects, then who knows what'll happen to everyone who took it?", I asked him.

He let out a deep sigh.

"Everyone's body reacts differently with every substance they ingest...so, let's hope nothing worse than this happens", he said.

I gulped upon hearing his words, darting out of the room with many thoughts dizzying my mind.

**********

MEANWHILE:

Ryan's eyes flicked open, allowing him to catch a glimpse of Ayla whose glinting palms were placed upon his bare shoulder.

"What were you thinking when you went after an army of zombies without backup?", she spoke with a hint of worry reflecting in her voice.

"Vin was there...", he said.