Chapter 3: The Nightmare Returns

Author's note: Just setting up the story, it shall get better after this :) 

Madison woke up startled, her heart pounding in her chest. The room was shrouded in darkness, the familiar sight of her bedroom barely visible in the moonlight. She lay there for a moment, trying to steady her breathing, trying to push away the lingering images of her recurring nightmare. In it, her biological mother was always just out of reach, her hand stretching out desperately for Madison's, but no matter how hard she tried, Madison couldn't grasp it before it was too late. The dream left her feeling a deep sense of loss and helplessness, emotions she wasn't ready to confront in the light of day.

Madison's nightmares used to be her parents' biggest concern. But now, she learned that Taylor and Travis were far too exhausted to even hear screaming from the other side of the house. Olivia was their number one priority and Madison didn't want to burden them with her nightmares. The truth was, she hadn't had them for a good few years before Olivia was born. But somehow, they returned shortly after her birth.

Trying to distract herself, Madison reached for the report her teacher had given her. Flicking on her bedside lamp, she retrieved a pen from her desk and carefully began to forge Taylor's signature at the bottom of the page. It wasn't the first time she had done this; over time, she had become adept at mimicking Taylor's signature, a skill born of necessity and teenage rebellion.

Once the deed was done, Madison turned off the light and lay back down, but sleep eluded her. Restless, she pulled out her phone and navigated to her secret online account. This account was her outlet, a place where she could be someone else, where she could express the frustrations and resentments that she felt too guilty to acknowledge in her real life.

Under the cloak of anonymity, Madison indulged in her favorite hobby: posting rumors about Taylor Swift. Some of these rumors were based on truths, little snippets of life that she twisted and exaggerated. Others were complete fabrications, born from her complex feelings towards her famous mother. It was a guilty pleasure, one that Madison justified as harmless fun. No one knew it was her, and the thrill of having this secret side was intoxicating.

She scrolled through the responses to her latest post, a mix of shock, disbelief, and wild speculation from Taylor's fans. Each comment brought a small, mischievous giggle to her lips. For Madison, this was more than just a pastime; it was a release, a way to exert some control over a life that often felt overshadowed and left behind. 

But as she read through the comments, a part of her couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt. She knew what she was doing wasn't right, yet she couldn't bring herself to stop. It was a way to assert her individuality, to make a mark on a world where she often felt invisible. Nothing she has ever said was so shocking it could tie her to the account, although she knew Tree must've known of its existence. Taylor also never mentioned the account to her, so Madison was in the clear.

Eventually, the adrenaline rush faded, and exhaustion began to set in. Madison locked her phone and set it aside, her mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. As she finally drifted off to sleep, she longed for her biological mother's touch.