Chapter 13: First Therapy Session

Author's note: I have no idea how to write family therapy sessions this was hella frustrating to write haha 

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the Swift residence as a car pulled up to the driveway. Dr. Elena Martinez stepped out, carrying a leather-bound notebook. Her demeanor was calm and reassuring, the kind that immediately put people at ease. She approached the front door, her steps measured and confident.

Taylor and Travis were waiting, their expressions a mix of nervous anticipation and hope. As Dr. Martinez rang the bell, Taylor adjusted her blouse, trying to ease the knots in her stomach. Travis paced a reassuring hand on her shoulder, offering a supportive smile.

The door swung open, and Taylor greeted Dr. Martinez with a polite, somewhat tense smile. "Dr. Martinez, thank you for coming. We really appreciate this," she said, her voice betraying a hint of anxiety.

Dr. Martinez offered a warm smile, extending her hand. "It's my pleasure. I'm here to help in any way I can," she replied, her tone soothing. "Shall we?"

As they led her into the living room, Madison emerged from the hallway, her posture stiff, her expression a clear indicator of her reluctance. She eyed Dr. Martinez warily, crossing her arms defensively.

Travis, noticing Madison's discomfort, gently nudged her forward. "Maddie, this is Dr. Elena Martinez. She's here to help us understand each other better," he said, trying to sound encouraging.

Madison offered a nod, her lips pressed into a thin line. "Hi," she muttered, not quite meeting Dr. Martinez's gaze.

Dr. Martinez, unfazed by Madison's cool reception, smiled kindly. "Hello, Madison. It's nice to meet you. I understand these sessions can feel a bit daunting at first, but I'm here to support you, not to judge."

Madison shuffled her feet, looking towards the window, her expression unchanged. "Sure," she replied, her tone flat, signaling her skepticism.

Taylor, sensing the tension, tried to bridge the gap. "Maddie, why don't we all sit down and see how this goes? We're all here to learn and grow."

Madison sighed, a sound that carried a mix of teenage rebellion and resignation. Reluctantly, she moved to take a seat, keeping her distance from Dr. Martinez. Her body language spoke volumes, even as she remained silent.

Dr. Martinez, with a practiced ease, took a seat, opening her notebook. "Let's start with simple conversations. This is a safe space for all of you to share and listen," she began, her voice calm and inviting.

"Let's start with some general insights into your family dynamics. How would each of you describe your roles and relationships within the family?" Dr. Martinez asked, her pen poised above her notebook.

Taylor, taking a deep breath, was the first to respond. "I'm the mom, trying to juggle between my career and the youngest in her terrible twos," she admitted, her voice laced with a hint of guilt.

Travis nodded in agreement. "And I've been trying to be a support system. Coaching does take up a lot of my time, but I want to make sure everyone in the family knows they're just as important."

Dr. Martinez jotted down some notes, then turned to Madison. "And Madison, how do you see your role in the family?"

Madison, who had been fidgeting with the hem of her shirt, looked up with a wry smile. "The forgotten child, I guess. You know, not the cute little baby. Just Madison," she said, her tone carrying a mix of sarcasm and underlying hurt.

Dr. Martinez observed her closely, then gently prodded, "Do you feel overlooked, Madison?"

Madison shrugged, her defenses still up. "Maybe. It's not like it's a new thing, though. I'm used to it," she replied, trying to sound nonchalant but failing to mask the pain in her voice.