Chapter 26: Date Night

It was a date night for Travis and Taylor. Madison volunteered to look after Olivia and despite Taylor's initial concerns, Travis convinced her that a little responsibility would do Madison some good - especially since she was now 18.

As they nestled into the cozy ambiance of the intimate restaurant, Travis caught Taylor's gaze across the flicker of candlelight.

"You know," he began, a hint of mischief in his voice, "I still remember how you couldn't stop fidgeting the first time we came here. You tried so hard to seem composed."

Taylor's cheeks warmed with a blush, the memories flooding back with vivid clarity. "Oh, please," she retorted with a playful roll of her eyes, "as if you were any picture of calm. I had so many butterflies in my stomach, I could hardly focus on the conversation. I was too busy worrying whether you could hear how fast my heart was beating."

Travis chuckled, the sound rich and comforting. "I couldn't hear it, but I was too distracted by my own nerves to notice much else. I was trying to memorize everything about you, afraid I'd forget a single detail."

The candlelight danced in Taylor's eyes as she reminisced. "That night felt like a dream. I kept telling myself to remember the way you laughed, the warmth of your hand when you finally gathered the courage to hold mine." She paused, her gaze softening. "I was so nervous; I kept playing with my napkin, anything to keep my hands busy."

Travis reached across the table, his fingers brushing against hers in a gesture that still sent shivers down her spine. "And I spent half the evening trying to come up with something clever to say, only to lose all train of thought every time you smiled."

Their meals arrived, but for a moment, they were lost in the past, in the thrill of new love and the promise of what was to come. "I think that's when I knew," Taylor said quietly, her hand now fully enveloped in his. "Despite the nerves, the awkward pauses, and the fumbling attempts at conversation, I knew there was nowhere else I'd rather be."

"And look at us now," Travis said, his voice laced with wonder and gratitude. "Years later, back where it all began. Still nervous around you, though now it's because I keep finding new reasons to fall in love with you all over again."

As they shared their meal, the world around them faded into the background.  Leaning in closer, Travis shared a secret he'd kept close to his heart. "You know, I never told you this, but after you met Jason for the first time, he pulled me aside and said, 'She's the one, Trav. Don't let her go.'" He closed his eyes, relieving the moment.

Taylor's eyes widened, a mix of surprise and emotion swirling within them. "Really? Jason said that?" she asked, her voice a whisper, touched by the revelation.

"Yeah," Travis confirmed, a soft smile playing on his lips. "I guess he saw what I felt before I even had the words for it. That night, it became so clear to me how deeply I felt about you. Knowing Jason saw it too, it just... it confirmed everything I was beginning to understand about us."

Taylor reached across the table, her hand finding his. "That means so much to me, knowing he felt that way."

Their conversation, a blend of memories and revelations, continued to weave a deeper connection between them, reaffirming the strength and depth of their love. In that moment, surrounded by the warmth of the restaurant that held so many memories, they were reminded of the journey they had taken together, and of the unwavering support they found in each other.

As the evening went on, Taylor's expression momentarily dimmed, a shadow passing over her usual radiance. She leaned forward, her voice dropping to a more somber tone, capturing Travis's full attention.