Chapter 25: Dinner

Dinner time at the Swift household was always a lively affair, but tonight held a particular tension for Madison. It wasn't just any dinner; it was the night her girlfriend, Sarah, was meeting Sabrina Carpenter. Sabrina wasn't just a family friend - over the years, she had become like an older sister to Madison, protective and somewhat possessive of that role. 

Madison watched nervously as Sabrina interacted with Sarah, the former's kindness tinged with a hint of suspicion that was characteristic of any big sister meeting her sibling's partner for the first time.

The table was set beautifully, the atmosphere warm and inviting. Olivia's voice cut through the adult conversation.

"Why do we have to eat veggies if you and daddy don't like them either?" Olivia asked, looking from Taylor to Travis with a puzzled expression, her question rooted in the age-old debate of dinner table negotiations.

Taylor exchanged a glance with Travis before answering with a gentle smile, "Because they make us strong and healthy. And even if we don't always love them, we eat them to be good role models for you."

Travis nodded in agreement, adding his own spin, "That's right, Olivia. It's like being a superhero. Even superheroes have to do things they don't always like, to keep their superpowers sharp."

Olivia considered this for a moment, her fork paused mid-air. "So, eating broccoli is like... superhero training?" she finally asked, her tone a mix of skepticism and intrigue.

"Exactly," Travis confirmed, winking at her. "Every bite of broccoli makes you stronger and faster."

The simplicity of the explanation seemed to satisfy Olivia, who turned her attention back to her plate, perhaps imagining herself a little stronger with every bite.

Sabrina, however, couldn't hide her interest in Sarah, her eyes occasionally narrowing in that all-too-familiar way for Madison - she knew she was about to interrogate the hell out of her girlfriend. Sarah was Sabrina's biggest fan and today's dinner and meeting Sabrina made her feel incredibly nervous. Of course, Sabrina knew that, which made it that much more fun for her.

"How come I'm only meeting you now if you two've been dating for a whole year?" Sabrina finally asked, turning her full attention to Sarah. Her tone was light, but the question hung in the air, weighted with the unspoken expectations of an older sister.

Madison, ever the mediator, quickly jumped in, hoping to diffuse any potential awkwardness. "Sab, please, we've been busy. With my cheerleading, Sarah getting into law school, and everything else happening, we've just been too busy," she explained, her voice a blend of apology and defensiveness.

Sabrina let out a giggle, clearly amused by Madison's protective stance. "Okay, but I asked your girlfriend, not you," she teased, turning her gaze back to Sarah, who by now was blushing furiously. Sarah had been a fan of Sabrina Carpenter long before she had even met Madison, and sitting across from one of her favorite singers, being directly addressed, was almost surreal.

Sarah, gathering her courage, managed a shy smile. "It's been a bit crazy with school and everything," she added, her admiration for Sabrina evident in her voice. "I wanted to meet you since Mads told me how you wanted to TP her ex's house a few years ago. Plus, I'm a huge fan."

Sabrina burst into laughter, the memory still vivid in her mind. "Oh, that was a brilliant plan," she admitted, chuckling.

Taylor's head whipped around, her "mom glare" in full effect. "You wanted to do what?!" she exclaimed, incredulous.

Madison, unfazed, rolled her eyes playfully. "Chill, mom, I talked her down from that ledge," she assured, drawing a light-hearted giggle from Sabrina.

"Always the voice of reason," Sabrina teased before turning back to Sarah, intrigued. "So, you're a fan of mine? Got any favorite tracks?"

Sarah's cheeks flushed a deep shade of red, a mix of embarrassment and excitement. "Um, 'Nonsense' is a top pick for me. But really, I adore the entire 'emails I can't send' album," she confessed, her gaze briefly meeting Sabrina's.

Sabrina shot Madison a playful look, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Better keep an eye on your girl, Madison, I might steal her," she teased, earning a swift, sisterly kick under the table.

"Hey, let's keep it civil, you three," Travis chimed in, his voice carrying a blend of amusement and a mock sternness, effectively diffusing the situation.

Throughout the evening, Madison barely heard the laughter and chatter at the dinner table. She was too busy pushing her food around, trying to make it look like she'd eaten something. She hadn't told anyone, not even Taylor, that her struggle with eating hadn't gone away. It made her feel more and more anxious by the minute. Claiming she was going to get more orange juice, she excused herself to the quiet of the kitchen for a chance to breathe.

Standing alone, Madison tried to steady her shaking breaths, using her therapy techniques to avoid having a panic attack. She tensed up when Taylor appeared, looking at her with worry visible with her eyes. "It's back, isn't it? Your eating disorder," Taylor said, her voice soft.

Madison couldn't stop the tears that sprang to her eyes. "It never left," she managed to say, her voice breaking.

Taylor immediately came closer, wrapping Madison in a warm hug. "Oh, baby, I'm sorry," she whispered right into her hair. "You're not alone."

Madison, overcome with a mix of fear and gratitude, looked up at Taylor, her eyes searching for something familiar to hold on to. "I'm trying, mom. It's just so hard.. I'm scared," she admitted, the weight of her struggle evident in her voice.

Taylor held her tighter. "I know, sweetheart, I know. But we'll face this, one step at a time."

"Hey guys, where do you keep your..." Sabrina's entrance was abrupt, her question hanging in the air as she took in the sight before her. Madison, tears still fresh on her cheeks, and Taylor embodying a pillar of support.

"What happened? Did Sarah do something? 'Cause I can kick her ass, you just tel me when," Sabrina half-joked, her tone shifting from playful to concerned within moments.

Taylor shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips despite the situation. "No, nothing like that, Sab. It's just... it's been a tough time for Madison."

Madison wiped away a tear, trying to muster a laugh at Sabrina's protective stance. "It's not Sarah. Just... just my own stuff I'm dealing with."

Sabrina's expression softened, her usual vibrancy dimming into something more gentle, more understanding. "Ok, no butt-kicking needed unless you say so," she said, moving closer to offer her own brand of comfort. "You know you've got us, right? I've seen your demons before, they don't scare me. And I know they don't scare your mom either."

Madison nodded, letting both Sabrina and Taylor embrace her in a bear hug. In that moment, the kitchen became a sanctuary of love, a testament to the unwavering bond they shared as a family, chosen and otherwise.