Chapter 29: Collapse

TRIGGER WARNING: Eating disorder talk and consequences

The day was quiet, when suddenly, Taylor's phone rang, shattering the calm. The display showed the name of Madison's cheer coach, and Taylor's heart skipped a beat as she answered.

The words from the other end were like a punch to the gut: "Hey Taylor, Madison collapsed during practice. We've taken her to the hospital." Panic took hold instantly, her mind racing with worst-case scenarios as the coach continued, providing details Taylor barely registered.

Without a second thought, Taylor grabbed her keys, her purse, and she hurried to Olivia's room. "Sweetie, we need to go. Now," she said, her voice urgent, trying to put on a brave face for her youngest daughter.

Olivia, sensing the sudden shift in atmosphere, was immediately on edge. "What's happening?" she asked, her voice rising in panic as she followed her mother to the car.

Taylor, her mind focused solely on getting to Madison, replied without turning, "Maddy needs us, Liv. We have to hurry." She couldn't bring herself to explain, not wanting to scare Olivia more than she already was.

The drive to the hospital was tense, with Olivia's questions growing more frantic. "Is Maddy okay? Why won't you tell me what happened?" Her voice was tinged with fear, mirroring the tight knot of dread in Taylor's own stomach.

Taylor, her hands shaking as she firmly held her phone while the driver took them to the hospital, found herself unable to formulate a response that would soothe her youngest daughter's fears without collapsing under her own.

"We'll be there soon," was all she could manage, her voice strained.

Arriving at the hospital, Taylor's first instinct was to rush inside, but she paused, taking a moment to look at Olivia. The fear and confusion in Olivia's eyes were a mirror to her own feelings, and it took all of Taylor's strength to muster a reassuring smile. "Stay with me, okay?"

Once inside, Taylor's pace quickened, her eyes scanning the signs for directions to the emergency department. Olivia struggled to keep up, her small hand gripped tightly in Taylor's.

Finding a nurse, Taylor's voice was barely steady as she inquired about Madison, providing her name and explaining the situation as quickly as she could. Directed to a waiting area, Taylor finally allowed herself to breathe, though each breath was shallow, laced with fear.

It was then, surrounded by the sterile hospital ambiance, that Taylor remembered to call Travis.

Her hands shook as she dialed, the phone almost slipping from her grasp. "Trav," she said, the moment he answered, her voice breaking, "Madison's in the hospital. She collapsed at cheer practice. I don't know all the details yet, but you need to come now."

Taylor held Olivia close, trying to offer comfort when she herself was desperately in need of it. They sat together in silence, waiting for news, waiting for Travis, waiting for any word on Madison. In that moment, the hospital's waiting room became the center of their world, every second stretching out infinitely, each tick of the clock a heavy heartbeat in the quiet chaos of their fear.

Olivia's small frame trembled with barely contained fear, her questions having dwindled into a heavy silence. Taylor, for her part, was a portrait of strained composure, her eyes fixed on the emergency room doors, willing them to open with news.

When Travis finally arrived, his presence was a silent pillar of strength. He wrapped his arms around both Taylor and Olivia, a wordless vow of support. They exchanged brief, worried glances, each feeling the unspoken fear that throbbed like a pulse between them.