Chapter 6: Injury at Cheer Practice

Author's note: Short chapter, I recently saw Dare Me on Netflix and got this idea from there haha

Before cheer practice began, Madison and Chloe were in the changing rooms, gearing up for the day's session. As Madison laced up her sneakers, Chloe couldn't help but bring up the recent incident that had everyone talking.

"So, the whole school is going on about your trip to the principal's office. They found out about your grades, huh?" Chloe asked, as she started to stretch.

Madison sighed, tying her laces with a bit more force than necessary. "Yeah. They are pretty upset about it. But honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Grades aren't everything."

Chloe raised her eyebrows, leaning against the locker. "Aren't you worried about getting grounded or something? I mean, having Taylor Swift as a mom must mean epic punishments, right?"

Madison chuckled, standing up and grabbing her cheer jacket. "First off, Taylor's my adoptive mom. And sure, she's a superstar, but at home, she's just mom. And they're more disappointed than angry. I guess I should've been more honest with them. But no, they didn't ground me actually. I'm sure it's coming, though."

Chloe looked at Madison, a hint of envy in her voice. "Must be nice, having someone like Taylor Swift worrying about you. I'd love to have a mom like her."

Madison paused, a serious look crossing her face. "It's not always easy, Chlo. Having famous parents comes with its own set of issues. Sometimes, I wish things were simpler."

Chloe nodded in understanding, though the glimmer of fascination didn't leave her eyes. "I guess the grass is always greener, huh? But hey, you've got an awesome family who cares about you, and that's what counts."

Madison gave a small smile, not fully believing the 'cares about you' part. "Yeah, they're ok. Anyway, can't wait to show off what I've been working on!"

Leaving the conversation behind them, Madison and Chloe joined the rest of the team on the floor. The excitement was noticeable as Madison prepared to showcase the stunt she had been tirelessly perfecting. Her teammates gathered around, excited to hear the news.

"I finally got my bow and arrow down," Madison announced proudly, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. "I'm ready to try it in the pyramid."

One of her teammates giggled and shook her head. "Mads, do you ever sleep? Or do you just eat, breathe, and live cheer?"

Madison responded with a light-hearted laugh. "I'll sleep when I'm dead," she quipped, her dedication to cheerleading evident in her playful yet serious tone.

The coach called for everyone's attention, instructing the team to get into formation for the pyramid. Madison took her position, her focus unwavering as she prepared for her moment.

As the pyramid formed, Madison executed the bow and arrow stunt, her body stretching elegantly, a perfect move of strength and grace. But suddenly, her eyes widened in alarm. A wave of dizziness washed over her, unbalancing her just as she reached the peak of the stunt.

In a frantic effort, her teammates managed to catch her before she hit the ground, but Madison's ankle twisted awkwardly in the process. A sharp, agonizing pain shot through her, eliciting a scream from her lips. The world around her began to blur, and within moments, she fainted from the intensity of the pain and the overwhelming stress of the fall.

The coach and her teammates rushed to her side, their faces etched with concern. Calls for help echoed through the gym as they realized the seriousness of her injury. Madison lay there, unconscious. The practice came to an abrupt halt, the earlier excitement replaced by a wave of worry and fear for their fallen teammate.